We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Beausoleil, Monaco
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

I am thinking of staying at Warere Town House. Only hesitation is that it seems to be located slightly away from the town center. Will I be able to walk to the night markets or a restuarant alone from there?

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
132 posts
264 reviews
Save Reply
41. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Good advice - thanks :)

NAIROBI
5 posts
Save Reply
42. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Sorry but most cities in Africa have similar names, so Malindi is a very popular part of Zanzibar Stone Town. I walked from the food market at Forodhani to my lodge in Malindi, no incident but not very advisable. Either a taxi or ask the management to send you with someone.

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
43. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Are you guys crazy,why do you go to this hell hole??? FYI,there are litterally thousands of places where it is possible to walk a few hundred meters back to your hotel at 9PM, I have been to 100 of them in abouth 80 countries,no orob,I wanted to go here,but,-no way,why subject yourself to something like this?? I just do not understand it.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
44. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Its an interesting town. Not everyone wants gated resorts with security guards...

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
45. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

I have never in my life been to a gated resort,I have been to Johanesburg,no prob walking a few Blocks,have lived in Cambodia and Laos,no prob walking a couple of blocks at night, or substantially more,newer engaged a security guard outside of Afganistan,but frankly I would not go THERE for a holiday!!!

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
46. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Well,frankly peterscot,in Kabul,I do prefeer a gated comunity,with A LOT OF SECURITY GUARDS,if you get my gritt!!! Which Your certainly NOT capable of !!!!

Edited: 5:39 pm, May 27, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Level Contributor
864 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
47. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Just read this old post for the first time, and wanted to add that we spent 5 fantastic days in Stone Town during Ramadan a couple of years ago. Why- we get enough beach at home but love historical towns. People treated us wonderful. We didn't walk around much after dark, only a few blocks back to the hotel from nearby restaurants. By the way the food there were the best we had in Tanzania.

Kusadası, Izmir...
Level Contributor
291 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
48. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

So,walking a few blocks home from a restaurant at say 10 PM would be OK,I have traveled to places that are generally considered to be rather high up on the safe to dangerous continum,would it be safer than say Johanesburg??? Kabul and,just maybe,Port Mooresby I consider unsafe for this purpose,otherwise Im generally OK,and,offcs Im not talking abouth stumbling around in tthe worst slums of,say,Johanesburg.

Edited: 3:11 pm, June 06, 2014
Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,715 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
49. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Ok. You dont like Stone Town. I think we get the message.

Have fun in Joburg and Kabul......

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,484 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
50. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Fjelifugi... You appear to be incapable of responding with civility. Please either be civil or be gone. You obviously have little experience in most East African cities.