We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Beausoleil, Monaco
Level Contributor
18 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

I am thinking of staying at Warere Town House. Only hesitation is that it seems to be located slightly away from the town center. Will I be able to walk to the night markets or a restuarant alone from there?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
for Tanzania, Ngorongoro Conservation Area
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
31. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Be careful about making incorrect conclusions. Most incidents there have occurred during political seasons, not Ramadan. Ramadan is a time of spiritual reflection, and fasting from sunup to sundown; it is more of a time of peace rather than a time of political uprising. Kind of like the Lenten season for observant Christians in many senses. The political tensions there, for the past 20 years of my recollection, have been separatist movements as some are seeking to separate from the union government; it is not a religious movement. And it is quite possible that someday this might happen, as some see themselves overwhelmed by the mainland which of course they are. And it is quite easy for those who are not all that well informed, including news reporters, to easily conclude that things which go wrong are done so because of religious differences. And while it is at times, it is not all that often.

And by the way, this happened on the last day of Ramadan, Wednesday was Eid al-Fitr which is one of the most joyous times of the Muslim calendar and is traditionally celebrated with prayers, festive decorations, visits with family and friends, new clothes, charitable donations, and sweet treats. Families cook special foods on this day and young children receive pocket money, sometimes going door to door playing musical instruments and asking for pocket money; It is a time of thanksgiving and celebration featuring much merriment and joy. Definitely not a time for political unrest, the furthest from their minds at that time of the year.

And there's space for a lot of jumping to conclusions in all of this, these two girls were Jewish.

Bottom line is this could have been avoided and it should have been. This happened at 7:15pm and it would have been dark at that time, especially on the narrow winding streets of Stone Town. They should not have been out in these streets after dark, which is always advised here. But like many 18 year olds -- nothing bad could ever happen to them, so they think. It's certainly not their fault that this happened to them; but it could have been avoided if they would have used the common precautions and been aware of their surroundings.

They have detained several men who they suspect are the culprits. Don't know if it will be reported what their motives were. It is rather common for acid to be thrown there, and it may be that these weren't the actual targets in the end.

Ramadam is not an unsafe time to be in Zanzibar, actually quite the opposite. And that doesn't mean that something bad won't happen to you during that time of the year. But if something bad does happen to you during that time, it won't be because of the celebration of Ramadam. The only thing Ramadam caused me ever is that I typically had to wait until later in the evening to eat as many of my friends there are Islamic and they would join me for dinner, just had to be after sundown.

Jambiani, Tanzania
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

There is an area in Stone Town, around the harbour, which is called Malindi.

Jambiani, Tanzania
Level Contributor
19 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
33. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

And it is safe for females to travel solo. If you take all the precautions, ask the hotel and/or groups of families in the street to walk with you, you will be fine.

Zanzibar is full of friendly people who follow their religion in peace and only look to earn some money. If you come to Zanzibar with an open mind, you will find that this attack was a one-off event, and that people here will go out of their way to help you. If you come to Zanzibar thinking that everyone is planning to attack you, you are not going to enjoy it.

Zanzibar is safe.

Level Contributor
83 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
34. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Hello Sinerle,

I am staying at Warere town house and is it possible to reach there by taxi from the food garden? How much is it?

Also, can you tell me which area is better with nice and clean beach and quiet without too many tourists? Uroa or Kiwenga or Paje? Also, how about Chwaka bay resort? Thank you so much.

Phoebe

Old Moshi...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
35. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Um... I guess this happened since the last posting, but I'm pretty sure the acid attacks on two Brits in Stonetown are a pretty good indication that it is not a place to go wandering around alone!

Stay Safe

Edited: 3:38 am, August 15, 2013
Old Moshi...
Level Contributor
85 posts
Save Reply
36. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Sorry, slow internet, did not see the other posts relating to the attacks.

Here's the thing about Zanzibar....

It can be safe. I lived there for three months, was aware of many violent crimes, especially against foreigners and hotels, but as a hotel manager at the time I took the appropriate precautions for myself and my guests. Unfortunately you can't protect yourself against everything. When you travel to a developing country you always take a certain risk , heck, leaving your house is a risk! If you want a beach vacation with no risk, go to Florida. If you want to try something new and explore the world, Zanzibar is a FANTASTIC destination. Also, tourists are pretty much left alone (as far as violent crimes are concerned), thought the fly catchers WILL NOT leave you alone!

Safari Njema

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
146 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
37. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

I too am going to visit Stone Town alone. Whilst I was planning to get taxis to and from restaurants in the evenings, I had hoped that walking round Forodhani Gardens was safe at night. Is this not advisable?

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
38. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Typically there are plenty of others there in the evening, so it will be safe. Just don't wander off by yourself.

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
146 posts
291 reviews
Save Reply
39. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Thanks - you mean don't wander off away from the Gardens area by myself? I'll be sure to stick to the Gardens area and get a taxi to take me back to my hotel afterwards.

Findlay, Ohio
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
12,485 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
40. Re: Solo Female, walking in Stone Town alone late evening

Yes, that's what I meant, just stick to that area where there will be plenty of other people. It wouldn't hurt to join in with others so that people think you are in a group of people.