We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

South Africa, KZN
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

We are South Africans going to Zanzibar in Sept and

staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone Town at the end of our trip. We want to do a number of day trips.

Could anyone please advise whether it is best to take US$ travellers cheques, credit card, US$ (Cash).

Read we will need Shillings for Stone Town purchases and tipping - is that correct? If travellers cheques where is the best place to exchange?

Thanks in advance to all that provide info.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

My advice is not to take travellers cheques. The exchange rate is shocking and you have to remember to take ID, and the recipt from when you brought them. Also if you do use them for paying of safaris/ accommadition. the going rate is $US20 ontop of the price!!

Most food you will buy will be in TZ schillings. So I recommend that you take $US's with you and exchange in Stone town. The rates for exchange are better in Dar and Zan then in Arusha.

Make sure if you do use it you remember the days exchange rate they are using at the hotel/shop (take a small diary) and check when you get back home. Always take your recipt. Also be aware there is usually close to a 15% mark up on credit cards.

South Africa, KZN
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

Wow what a quick response - thanks for the good advice. Most appreciated.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
731 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

No probs. Just searching for my trip to Moz and saw this.

Have a great time in Zanzibar. If I hadn't of been there 4 times already. I'd be headed back there!

4. Re: We staying at Breezers Hotel and 1 night Stone TMoney advice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:30 am, February 12, 2010