We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

Which Selous Game Reserve hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

Hi

I am planning to leave Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp and stay there with my wife for few days in second part of January. The problem is with transport. Safari is expensive enough - as my budget is desperately low I am looking for cheap transport to get to Selous and return after 3 nights. Bus is not an option as it departs from Dar Es Salaam at 4:30 am - it's my honeymoon so the last thing which I want to do it's break my marriage in the earliest stage ;) Seriously - I would not put my wife through this inconvenience. I am looking for transport by car. Unfortunately the prices quoted to me by different agents are between $440 - $800 for return drive. Of course paid in cash like everything else. Unfortunately I do have little of it so please help - anyone local who wish to make some money without ripping me off? Or maybe you know anyone? Maybe anybody knows what is the acceptable/real cost for this service so I can know how far can I push while haggle in Dar Es Salaam? Please advise. Desperate Husband.

ld
Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

Fly there for 610 dollars return for the two of you?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,189 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

You may have to talk up the bus. Tanzania sunrises are beautiful. The scenes of the day waking up as you drive by will add a new layer to the Tanz experience. Vehicle hire is expensive, as is gas. As per Id's post, air is even more expensive. It is unfortunate that this wasn't identified sooner so that it could be budgeted. I am sure that this will not break your marriage. Now, yiu may have to forgo the diving lessons, it the bus is a dealbreaker, but maybe you can come up with some way to win her over while on the way to Selous. Come up with something schmaltzy and romantic. Once she gets on safari and the experience, I would hope that any bus memory fades to grey.

Stanley, Falkland...
Level Contributor
32,674 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

Yes, we've all been there, mate. Been busy with the wedding and booking the flight, that we forget about the detail of the holiday.

Don't worry, I'm sure the bus will be fine, and you'll look back on it in later years and laugh.

I'm not sure you are being ripped off. Transport is not cheap, and you want something at short notice, in peak season, and convenient.....

I've had to get up at 4am to catch an early flight from Zanzibar to Dar. I don't remember my wife complaining that I was cruel to her....Your wife will be counting her blessings that she's married such a spontaneous guy.

Good luck.

Isle of Man, United...
Level Contributor
37,001 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

I wonder how the trip went? Did the romantic sunrise win the fair lady over or are divorce papers filed?

My girl of 50 years has seen more than her share of "Romantic sunrises". And some very unromantic mornings when the sun never bothered to rise at all.

5. Re: Transport from Dar Es Salaam to Selous River Camp

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 06, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Selous Game Reserve