We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Manyara vs Tarangire

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
34 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Manyara vs Tarangire

Hi!

I'll be on safari in Tanzania in mid-late Feb, 2012. Originally, I was going to go to both Tarangire and Manyara. However, I've been advised by one of the companies I'm looking at going with to skip Tarangire and go only to Manyara, because, as she said: "You may want to reconsider, as Tarangire is NOT optimum for game-viewing during your travel period. In fact, most of the elephants - for which the park is so well known - have left Tarangire and are, in fact, at Manyara." Of the 3 or 4 companies I've narrowed down to, that's the only one that's recommended skipping Tarangire, so I wanted to ask for advice from the TA forum: For February travel, should we go to both Tarangire and Manyara or should we just go to one? Thanks!

32 replies to this topic
nyc
Level Contributor
14,647 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Manyara vs Tarangire

"February isn't the dry season?"

Well, it sure isn't the wet season.

Wet is from late-Oct thru mid-Dec and again late-Mar thru May. Otherwise, relatively dry. Though known to be 'best' from late-June thru Oct, with odd weather most everywhere these days, Tarangire is still a 'gem' of a park and not to be missed if possible.

Have visited this park many times, different months and each has been more than worthy... some with lots and lots of diverse game, others more sparse, but as no two days on safari are the same, never once has this place disappointed.

Arusha
Level Contributor
13 posts
Save Reply
32. Re: Manyara vs Tarangire

I advise not skip Tarangire.. Tarangire is good through out the year even though the animals can migrate to Manyara but that not lead Tarangire to leave out without Animals... These parks are different and you can experience something different.

Manyara is a small park and you can do game drive some hours and find you have completed all the park... If your time is limited.. I suggest to do game drive in these parks in one day..

Start doing Tarangire Morning Game drive and leave for Manyara evening game drive.. it is possible..

Reply to: Manyara vs Tarangire
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Lake Manyara National...