We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

anyone stayed at OI TUkai camp on lake manyara ?

ILLINOIS
5 posts
Save Topic
anyone stayed at OI TUkai camp on lake manyara ?

my operator recommend me this camp on the shores...anyone stayed here they dont have a website.

melbourne
Destination Expert
for Tanzania
Level Contributor
6,830 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: anyone stayed at OI TUkai camp on lake manyara ?

I am presuming that this is the old Corbett Bishop Safari Company Ol Tukai Conservancy, Corbett passed away last year and had established this conservancy with the local Masai communities sometime in the last 5 or 6 years. It is similiar to others whereby the local communites are trying to earn something from the wildlife on their traditional lands.I met Corbett a few years ago when he was working for a hunting company, and his client base was those previously connected with hunting and they used to stay in this area., but not to hunt.

I know that the African Wildlife Foundation bought the Manyara Ranch about 7 or 8 years ago, which is basically the bush between the lakeside conservancy operated by the village and the main road, from Arusha to Babati,some 15,000 acres. It is right on the wildlife corridor between Tarangire and Manyara, and AWF have invested tens of millions of dollars in the area. I have also heard recently that there is a lodge being built in the Manyara Ranch overlooking a dam/waterhole, with AWF and some private operators, budget being over a million dollars, which means that the potential in the area must be enormous!

I have visited the area and it is pretty nice right on the edge of Lake Manyara with some resident game.

Is the camp the one owned by Maasai Wanderings as I believe they have taken over the old Corbett Concession.

2. Re: anyone stayed at OI TUkai camp on lake manyara ?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:34 am, December 15, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Lake Manyara National...