We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
8 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Hi all, we're planning our honeymoon for April and are struggling to make a decision. I love the look of Azura, but we've heard from our agent that the rooms are close together and therefore lack privacy. Also that the garden is fenced in to try to create privacy, but that reduced the view of the beach. As it's our honeymoon we want to get it right… According to our agent (again!) Benguerra Lodge's Casita's (the beachfront villas) are more generously spaced out and therefore private. However, the look of this one isn't as appealing to me, but maybe that's just photography? Has anyone been to either/both that can help with more info? All help very gratefully received. Many thanks in advance.

8 replies to this topic
Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
936 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Azura, Benguerra, and Marllin Lodge are all good lodges near Vilankulo, but much of a muchness. If you want something special my colleague just returned from Matemo, and Medjumbe in the Quirimbas, northern Mozambique. The advantage of the north is the islands were once inhabitated, so along with pristine beaches you also got the history and incredible old decaying buildings - like something out of a Indiana Jones movie.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Hi there, we went to Bengeura lodge, and for your honeymoon this would be the best, you get a butler and they take very good care of you.

the cabanas are no less than 4 metres from the beach, and they have their own little pool and then the deck then you are on the beach.

the restaurant food is superb to say the least...

diving there is awesome,....

but you have to remember if you want to go about, you are on a island so you cant go painting the town red, but if you want to chill out and have privacy, this is the thing for you

Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
34 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

I will just give you my experiences. We have stayed at Azura for 7 nights, Matemo for 3 nights and Medjumbe for 4 nights. We loved all three but they were definitely distinct. While staying at Azura, we walked down to Benguerra to have a look around and I was not impressed with the look of the resort. However, to be fair I can't comment on the quality of the food or service. Azura was wonderful and the food fantastic. We were there at a time when it was not crowded (5 couples total) so we did not experience the problem of limited privacy but I do agree that their casitas are too close together and the fencing does limit your view of the beach and water.

We thoroughly enjoyed Matemo Island as well. Great food, professional service but their resort is much larger and the dive sites were farther by boat than we enjoyed. Therefore, we took one of their planes to Medjumbe for the rest of our vacation and we're soooo glad we did! Medjumbe was simply wonderful because it's the only thing on the small island and taking a stroll around the entire island takes 45 minutes! Gorgeous sunsets, great food and the diving around Medjumbe had pristine reefs!

I would rate Azura's rooms a little nicer than the other two because they are newer, but we loved the privacy and seclusion of Medjumbe! Hope this helps but feel free to ask me any question and I'll try to answer it.

London, United...
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Hi,

I am planning my honeymoon & am trying to decide between 7 nights at Benguerra Lodge or Medjumbe Island. Forgoing a little extra luxury at Benguerra for a lot more exclusivity on Medjumbe. How luxurious is Medjumbe? Also, if we are not diving, will it still be a good location (aside from relaxing in the sun, going for walks, snorkeling, maybe a little fly fishing if I am allowed etc). Don't want to get bored, if that is possible on honeymoon. Benguerra does offer a lot more options activity wise but again, I am really taken on Medjumbe's secluded setting & it looks amazing too.

Many thanks for your advice!

Edited: 4:35 am, September 26, 2012
London
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Hi

I have stayed at Benguerra Lodge and only visited Azura. They are pretty much neighbours and you can walk from the one to the other. Benguerra in my opinion is in need of a refurb and their attention to detail needs to be addressed. Azura felt more luxurious and I don't think that the rooms are not private. Yes people can walk in front of your room if they are on the beach but that is the same for any resort.

I would say - go for Azura.

Let me know if you need more help and congratulations on your engagement! I just got married in SA so very envious of you looking into a honeymoon.

Kathryn - Owner - I Found Africa

London
Level Contributor
18 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Hi Warren D,

Where will you be traveling before Mozambique? The reason I ask is usually it is quite difficult with flights to get to Pemba where Medjumbe is located. If you are going on safari before in the Kruger then flying into Vilanculos is going to be your best bet (ie Benguerra Lodge).

In terms of the lodges, both are barefoot beach luxury. I mentioned in my post above that Benguerra felt like it needed a bit of a refurb but it is still a lovely resort. Medjumbe on the other hand is very secluded and you get a real sense of being away from it all. Please don't expect very fancy rooms though. You may get a bit of island fever if you planning to spend more than 5 nights there.

If you give me a bit more information about your plans before Mozambique and how long you were hoping to spend then I can then guide you a bit more accurately.

Congrats on the engagement!

Kathryn - Owner - I Found Africa

Chicago, Illinois
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

Nothing can be better on Benguerra than Benguerra Lodge! Paradise on Earth...fantastic service...the best! Stayed there 5 days and didn't lift a finger. Especially if you're diving...Jacques will take the best care of you! Perfect place for couples/honeymooners or anyone that wants to have the time of your life. Kathryn will make sure anything you need/want is taken care of...our guy Sergio is the best!

From Rich, the American, Chicago, IL

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?

You may wish to avoid northern Inhambane with the war going on there. Try the Quirimbas, cheaper and with incredible history.

Reply to: Azura vs Benguerra Lodge?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Benguerra Island
More Benguerra Island Topics