We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

Leicester, United...
3 posts
Save Topic
Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

Hi

We are staying at Ait Hen Haddou then at Les Mouflons refuge the following night! Am I better going round by the north through Imlil or could I cross the atlas from the south via Amsouzart or Ihlene?

Some key considerations:

Attempting it from the South:

The hike from Amsouzarte to les mouflon looks like a big 12 hour job. Can i start at Ihilene - like can a car/4x4 reach Ilhilene? how long do you reckon from there?

If so can I hire a mule at Ihilene to take out luggage to our hotel in Imlil the following night while we take light backpacks to the refuge?

How long will the drive take from the Riad at Ait Ben haddou to Ihlene? How much is on tarmac?

Attempting it from the North:

This looks easier but less fun! How long to cross the Tizi n Ticha and get from Ait ben Haddou to imlil? Im counting on about 6 hours hike from Imlil to the refuge. Is that correct?

My head tells me I should go from the North but my heart says go from the South. Whats your advice?

BTW it is also the middle of Ramadan. We are reasonably fit and young(ish).

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

Sorry, do you mean Imhilene?

Leicester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

Yes.

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

You could definitely reach Imhilene with a 4x4. In fact you could go a little further to the marabout of Sidi Ifni on the south bank of Lac d'Ifni.

From Imhilene you could hire mules to carry your main baggage while you walk over Tizi n'Ouanoums (3664m) to the refuge in about 8 or 9 hours.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
11,857 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

The final stretch up to the lac is a bit steep, but I've done most of the way on an offroad motorbike.

There's a decent gite at Amsouzarte which is at about 1800m.

Zawyat Oulmzi...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
3,042 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

.... and if you want accommodation before setting off towards Lac d'Ifni, there are simple rooms and a campsite at Ait Igrane, the village just a few minutes up valley from Imhilene.

Leicester, United...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

That would be the sensible thing to do and thanks for the suggestion. The trouble is we have to be at Ait Ben Haddou the night before. I'm figuring a 3 hour drive to the proximity of lac ifni plus then a 9 hour hike. Seems ambitious. Does anyone know how long to drive from Ait Ben Haddou to Lac Ifni?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
8,010 posts
380 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

Yes some people (incl myself) do multiday treks passing through Toukbal and then Amsouzerte. The climb of the pass from the Amsouzert side is tough.

8. Re: Climbing Toubkal from the Ouarzazate Side.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, August 08, 2016
Get answers to your questions about Imlil