We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Market.

Which Imlil hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Market.

Hi there,could you tell me, is there a weekly market in Imlil? Many thanks for any info given.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Market.

No, the nearest market is Asni which is on Saturday.

Camberley, England...
Level Contributor
245 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Market.

Hi Tim, thanks for that. I think I will be there on the Saturday and would love to go to the market, is it on all day? and how big is it?, if your able to give me some more info, I'd be very grateful:)

Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Market.

Asni souk is pretty big and worth a visit - not sure what time it finishes but is going most of the day

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Market.

Last time I was in Asni there were a lot of very aggressive young men trying to force their cheap jewellery on us. We didn't buy it, but they kept following us and pushing it in our faces.

One of my friends did eventually end up buy something just to get away from them, and paid a ridiculous price.

As a result we found the whole stop at Asni really unpleasant. I think that too many tour groups stop there and the locals are desperate to sell stuff in the short window they have, making it much more 'in your face' than somewhere like Marrakech.

Edited: 1:41 pm, May 28, 2014
Marrakech, Morocco
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Market.

"One of my friends did eventually end up buy something just to get away from them, and paid a ridiculous price"

That is the worst possible thing you can do - it just encourages them to hassle others until they buy. The best thing with the persistent sellers is just to ignore them completely.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Market.

What's up with people that they can't say "no"?

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Market.

Of course you're both right, but as we all know many people do feel intimidated in these situations. Saying no doesn't get rid of them, just brings on more stories of their starving children etc.

My friend knew she was stupid to buy something but that is what can happen.

My point is that it's not a pleasant place to visit whether you buy something or not.

Castril De La Pena...
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
8,788 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Market.

I've stopped at Asni souq several times, normally on my way either to Imlil or over the Tizi n'Test. I think it's a bit unfair to categorize Asni as an unpleasant place to visit just because you can't handle people trying to sell you things.

Stories of starving children, ha! I would just laugh and poke fun at them, knowing very well that it's just a line.

Luton
Destination Expert
for Morocco
Level Contributor
2,327 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Market.

I'm sorry to read about your experience, Doreen. If you find yourself in this situation again and you feel that the situation is getting out of hand, try turning to another local person and explain your difficulty. Happily, the vast majority of Moroccans would disapprove of such aggression and would most probably help you out.

10. Re: Market.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 01, 2015