We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around

Which Trou d'eau Douce hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around

Me and my GF will be in Mauritius in October and have chosen Le Tropical in Trou d'eau Douce because it seems to be the quieter side of the island. This said, we are interested in seeing the rest of the island and just wondered how easy it is to get around and the best way to do this. We are not interested in hiring a car so any info on the best way to get around would be greatly appreciated and some idea of time scale also would be handy ie how long would it take to get over to Flic en Flac or up to Grand Baie. Also any suggestions on trips/excursions would be great, We've done some research already but would love to hear from people who have experienced the place first hand.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,737 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around

Take a look at the "things to do" section on the left hand side of this page, it will give you an idea of the many things to see and do in Mauritius.

If you don't want to hire a car, many people don't, then I would suggest you take taxis for days out. Agree a price before you go. We have done this many times in the past, you get to see what you want for as long as you want. Taxi drivers know everything there is to know about their country and are very proud of it, quite rightly so.

Mazza :-)

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around

Hiya, thanks for the reply, do you have any idea of the kind of prices we are looking at, i understand that it will be dependant on where we are going but do you have or do you know of a few examples.

Thanks Again

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
1,623 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around

Its difficult to give prices as they have risen several times recently because of hikes in fuel prices.

I would try several drivers, some of them have a price list and barter a bit. You may also consider hiring the driver for a day than just a trip which might be more cost effective.

4. Re: Getting Around

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 am, October 08, 2012
Get answers to your questions about Trou d'eau Douce