We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money and tipping

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Money and tipping

Me again ! As am looking to go AI I will only be taking money with me for tipping and a few small extras, how much in sterling would anyone recommend I take and how much in tips should I be looking at per day ??

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,491 posts
1,861 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money and tipping

No need to tip everyday. Mauritius is not like the USA.

You will be tipping the bellboy when they deliver the luggage and take the luggage at the end of your stay.

Your meals are likely to be buffet type. That leaves the maid, some tip every few days, others tip at the end of the stay.

Of course you might need money for cabs, gifts from shops, excursions etc. Look to take £250 to £500 with a credit card for any big spends.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,140 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money and tipping

I always spend more than I think I will so like Preston have the back up of a credit card particularly for extras in the hotel like spa treatments. Mostly we have days out with our hire car but if you have a taxi anywhere you will need cash and a tip is always cheerfully and gratefully received. Other small items like water/drinks when we are out and gifts/souveneirs we buy along the way.

The hotel will give you a comment sheet at the end of the stay where it's possible to name any member of staff who has given you outstanding service and they are rewarded from time to time. Also there's a box in reception where some guests will leave a general tip to be shared amongst all the staff including those who work behind the scenes that you will never see, .i.e. those in the laundry, kitchen, maintenance and the gardeners.

There may be others in the hotel who give you good service and you wish to tip. But again it's upto you, no pressure to tip but we find it's good to.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money and tipping

Thanks for information, so I need to make sure my sterling has been changed over to rupees before we arrive so I have some availble to tip bellboy, taxi driver ??

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money and tipping

Change sterling to rupees in arrivals. There are bank counters which open for all incoming flights and offer very good exchange rate and no commission.

liverpool
Level Contributor
1,272 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money and tipping

Thanks DeeCape Town

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,472 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money and tipping

My pleasure - have a great holiday.

7. Re: Money and tipping

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 30, 2014