We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

I have booked my wedding for Les Pavillions in October this year? I'd really appreciate any tips and advice from another else who has got married there.

Also I have a few questions:

Does anyone know of a local florist? I have been quoted £350 for two flower arrangments to decorate the gazebo. I thought this was a bit steep!

Does anyone know if you are allowed to travel back on the plane with wedding flowers? I know you used to be able to from the Carribean 10 years ago but that was before 9/11.

Have any other brides used to hotel salon for the bridal hair?

Do you recommend it and how much did it cost you? Did you book it on arrival or before you went?

I've booked a local photographer called Rudy. Has anyone used him before. Was he good?

Thanks,

Emma.

Manchester
Level Contributor
16 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Hi Fiona

I didn't use the salon as another girl I spoke to on here had a bad experience with them about a year ago. My sister did my hair for me and I did my own make up. I did see a few other brides who went to the salon for the hair and it looked beautiful. So if there was a problem with the stylist there in the past there isn't any more. It is very expensive though which is another reason I chose to get my sister to do mine. It was about £90 and that doesn't include the trial, its another £90 for a trial. In hind sight if I had gone to the salon it would of be less stressful on the day as I was late for the wedding as the hair took so long. But make sure you book into the salon early as the girl I spoke to on here said that they wanted her to come at a later time than she wanted and had she of gone for that time she too would of been running late. They other brides I saw during to holiday had up do's with lots of curls and flowers in their hair which looked stunning.

Regarding make up I went to bobbi brown before I went and had a free bridal make up lesson and my mum had a mother of the bride make up lesson. Its free if you are making a purchase. Think its about £15 if you don't so you might as well buy something. Bobbi brown is a premium make up range so therefore expensive and I bought a lot but it will last me over a year and I use it every day. Bobbi make up is really natural make up so its perfect for bridal and it will last all day. I was very happy with it! I can't imagine that you would get a better brand at the hotel and you wouldn't be able to keep any of it so I think its worth it.

In the evening of the wedding day we had a sit down meal at the Obergine restaurant. They let us taylor the menu to suit everyones tastes. The food was incredible. Lobster was even on the menu. They decorated the table beautifully, the restaurant manager had been working on it for hours! They moved the flowers we had at the gazebo for the ceremony to the evening location to decorate the table. It looked amazing! They also moved the flowers to our room the following morning when they delivered our wedding breakfast.

There is regular live music within all the different restaurants and we were lucky enough to have a live guitarist playing that night. My husband arranged as a surprize for me for them to play and sing our first dance song. We danced on the beach next to the restaurant and it was perfect.

We took a two CD's of music to play during the wedding and in the evening and the manager told us that they would put it on in the bar when we gave the word. One tip, for music during the wedding, request they play it low, ours was perfect volume to begin with but then it got put on far too loudly after the ceremony and sounded terrible so we ended up just turning it off as we couldn't find a volume.

Another tip, if you choose the gazebo to get married in. Reserve all the sun-beds to the side of it early in the morning with a few different bits of clothes, hats, towels. In the past the wedding coordinator as requested sunbathers move out of the way when the wedding begins but some people have been known to be rude and refuse to move. They say things like I have paid to be here too why should I move. You don't want sweaty sunbathers in your wedding shots so just reserve the lot! I know it might sound selfish to reserve 8 sunbeds for most of a day but if people are going to be selfish about sitting in the background of someone's wedding photos with their bellies hanging out then why not be selfish back. Its your day and you only get one chance. There was one stupid lady that actually got in the swimming pool next to the gazebo as i came down the aisle, the wedding coordinator just signaled to her to move out of the way and she did. It didn't spoil anything. People just want to see what's happening and get a glimpse of the bride.

This might all sound like a hassle you don't need but as long as you get up early and reserve the beds you won't have any issues and the staff will try their best to keep people out of the way. They offer other locations in the hotel but I think the gazebo is the most beautiful. Another couple chose a restaurant patio as they were so worried about trying to keep it private. They put the shutters down in the restaurant to keep people out. But this detail is really the only slight negative but you will get that problem in any hotel I imagine. It really won't spoil the day and you can ask your photographer to avoid getting other people in shot in they are in the area.

Also if you choose a wedding in the afternoon. It most probably will be at 3pm. We arranged ours for 4pm through the travel agent as my husband was worried about wearing a suit in the heat. But when we met the registrar he said he would only do 3pm as any later and I think he would of been working out of his normal working hours and wouldn't get paid over-time. I'm telling you this so there won't be any disappointment. Even if the hotel and travel rep tell you in writing your wedding is at 4pm it probably won't be. The registrars work for the government not the hotel.

The difference in the heat of the day between 3 and 4pm is minimal anyway so its not a problem. It was just a bit of a disappointment for my husband at the time as he had been expecting 4pm and was so worried about being too hot but he was fine. When we went in October they were having an 'anti-cyclone' which is when the winds out to sea keep changing direction so the temperature was not too hot at all and was actually cool enough in the evenings to need a cardigan.

Hope I haven't worried you about anything telling you these things. Its better to know these details so you won't be disappointed and can prepare. You will have a fabulous wedding and you have chosen the most amazing and beautiful hotel where they will do everything they can to make your day and your whole trip an amazing and unforgetable experience! Let me know how you get on. Any if you have any other questions I'm happy to help.

Emma x

14 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Hi Emma

I am so sorry it has taken me so long to reply, I went on a holiday and then with Christmas etc it has been hectic and every morning I think I must reply and the minute I get into the office all thoughts leave my head.

Can you believe you've almost been married for 3 months? Time sure does fly.

Thank you for the lovely advice, I did take it seriously and I have booked Rudy for my wedding :)

I have a lot of questions for you, only because I'm a perfectionist as well and as I'm having guests join me I want to do something special for our day.

Can I rather send you a PM or perhaps grab you on chat some time? Happy to only do messages if the idea of chat freaks you out? I just have so many questions about the actual ceremony, the music, the flowers, the dinner table, hair, make up etc etc and thought it would be easier to discuss them all in real time. You let me know what's best for you.

Hope you well Mrs :)

Regards

Chantelle

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Hi guys,

Hope all the weddings went well!! I was. Looking to book this hotel as a honeymoon and was wondering if u guys cld give me any advice?? Im very fussy so am a little worried about the food. Is there entertainment at night? Is the hotel very isolated? Does anyone know if the golf course is far away?? Is there much to do?? If u dont want to do anything is it a relaxing place?? Hope someone can give me some info to help me out cuz at the moment im demented tryin to pick somewhere - to the point im about to give up!!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Mauritius is a good choice for a honeymoon and this hotel is popular for weddings also. Plenty of reviews to read through too, they will give you a feel for the hotel.

As I've said in another thread evening entertanment in Mauritius tends to be rather low key.

I'm sure you'll find the right hotel for your honeymoon, there's plenty to choose from. Have you looked at the Belle Mare Plage or le Prince Maurice on the east, excellent golf courses there.

Mazza :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
15. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

The more reviews i read about differing hotels, the more confused i am!! We originally liked the belle mare plage but its only hb and dont particularly want to pay for more 1ce we get there so wld prefer to splash out on AI since by the sounds of it, it can b expensive. We're not really looking for anything overly extravagant in the evenings just wondered wots on offer. Golf is a must but must b 18 holes. I hv also been warnedaway from the east coast due to it being windy over there, so god knows - n i thot the difficult part ofthewedding planning wld b the actual wedding lol

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,104 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Hi PrincessPiglet

Last time I saw you you were on Honeymoons and Romance saying that Mauritius was too expensive and you were now looking at Thailand!

So you've changed your mind?

Good luck in your search. I do so hope you find what you're looking for.

Bronia

Edited: 5:45 am, January 24, 2012
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,891 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Maritim is in the North West, does AI, gets good reviews but only has a 9 hole golf course, but designed by former pro, Graham Marsh.

You can always travel to the east of the island to play golf at the BMP, Le Tousserok etc.

Following link may help:

golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse/coursedir/world/ma…

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

If you are looking for AI hotels then stick to that plan. However it does limit your choice somewhat and of course the flight/hotel package will be more in comparison to HB, depends how much you eat, drink and whether you intend to stay within the hotel for most of the time as to which is the most cost effective.

Choices are there, lots of them.

Mazza :-)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

Wot i had been offered was too expensive and had found that the comments i had seen had said that paying for lunches etc over and above HB sounded expensive but had never quite written off Mauritius. Thanks Preston ill hv a look. I definitely plan on stayin in the resort relaxing the majority of the time unless goin on excursions, i jus dont plan on payin a fortune 1ce im there after paying a fortune to get there if u no wot i mean. Thats the problem mazza - too many choices!! Lol especially for someone so fussy!!

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Wedding Les Pavillions Oct 2011

I'm fussy too but if you pick a 4 or 5 star hotel which fulfil all your criteria I am sure you won't be disappointed, I think probably there's too much choice.

Mauritius has never been a budget/cheap destination and this is reflected in hotel drinks costs, it also keeps the riff raff away..

Get answers to your questions about Le Morne
Recent Conversations