We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flights to mauritius

Which Le Morne hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
flights to mauritius

Hi

We are looking to go to Mauritius in October. There will be about 8 of us. There is a big debate going on in our group at the moment as to whether it would be better to book our flights now (costing around £750-£800 depending on who we fly with) or to wait until say, July, Aug when there may be a good chance of us getting the flights cheaper on cheapflights.co.uk or simular websites. Can anyone shed some light on this subject please??

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flights to mauritius

Usually the earlier the better. Which airlines were you looking at? We usually pay around £600 or a bit over. £800 seems a tad bit expensive, even for Mauritius. I assume you already have accomodation booked, otherwise you might find a package holiday would work out cheaper. Thats been our experience, and we have been going to Mauritius for years now. Direct flights with BA Virgin or Air Mauritius are best as you aren't wasting time with transfers and adding extra time to an already longish flight, although Air France and Emirates may be cheaper,or any indirect flights for that matter. The problem with Mauritius is the scheduled operators have a stranglehold with very little competition, as they still refuse to let charters fly there in a misguided (IMO) attempt to keep the island "exclusive" although again IMO it stopped being an exclusive destination years ago.

Good luck,

Bronia

cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flights to mauritius

Hi Bronia

Thanks for your reply.

Air Mauritius is £750 inc tax etc and Virgin is £803 inc tax and as you say, it is rather expensive. I was always led to believe that you could pay around the £600 mark. My thoughts are that if you can pay around £550/£600 now for a trip in 2-3 months time, why should the same thing not apply say, in July/Aug for a trip in Oct??

The debate still goes on and if anyone else has any thoughts on this subject please do let us know asap otherwise we may have to just bite the bullet and pay the £800....

Thanks again!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flights to mauritius

Hi,

I don't know, but with flights we have always found that the earlier we book the better. We used Orbitz last November for Washington. Kayak is another site to compare flights, but the general consensus is that booking direct with the airline works out a bit cheaper. www.mauritius.com which used to be the old Mauritius travel club at Clapham still sends us details of offers (and calendars) every so often, usually with BA or Air Mauritius. Worth getting in touch with them. Sign up for BA executive club and Virgins frequent flyer club and they will email any offers. The flights are ridiculously overpriced in any case. One of my personal bugbears!

Bronia

cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flights to mauritius

Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to answer to our query. Will definitely give your suggestions a go.

Watford, United...
4 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flights to mauritius

Hi Butchaboy

We are going to Mauritius this week for the Easter break - we managed to get half-price flights in the BA sale last September for £400 each. Don't know if that's an annual sale or not, but we just happened to be looking around for flights at the time and got really lucky for a change! We rent a villa rather than go to a hotel - much cheaper and more interesting. Plenty of accomodation to choose from on the Internet.

Perth
Level Contributor
93 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: flights to mauritius

Hello.

About waiting until July or Aug my suggestion would be to book the earliest since fuel prices are going up, and there might be an added fuel surcharge if you wait.

cornwall
Level Contributor
5 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flights to mauritius

Hi everyone

I've just checked the flight prices again and they do seem to be going up - Virgin has gone up by about £8 since last month. I think we had just better book our flights asap before it goes through the roof! We are also staying in a villa - I used to go to Mauritius with my family when I was younger and we always hired a villa...

Anyway, thank you both for your help!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flights to mauritius

Good idea to book now. Virgins prices at the moment don't seem too bad. Good luck!

Bronia

9. Re: flights to mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 am, July 15, 2008
10. Re: flights to mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 23, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Le Morne
Recent Conversations