We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand Gaube Beach

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Topic
Grand Gaube Beach

Hi i am going to be staying in the LUX Grand Gaube

can anyone who has been tell me if the beach is a nice one and is it a good spot to

go snorkling / diving, is the water clear and lots of sea life ?

Thanks

Wes

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,016 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

I haven't stayed at Lux but have at the next door Paul et Virginie.

Both have man made beaches not natural ones - I think you would have to go out on the hotel's boat for any decent diving as there's seaweed and it's shallow.

Also make sure to get a refurbed room - think its still having a rolling refurb and the older rooms are dated.

Have you checked the reviews?

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g488104-d3…

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Hi thanks for the quick reply

I am looking at all the reviews now thanks

can i ask where would have the nice beaches with white sand and clear blue waters

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

The best are probably on the east coast around the Belle Mare area. For snorkelling look at Blue Bay in the south as there is a marine park there. Plenty of good dive sites around the island.

Have you already booked Lux Grand Gaube?

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Hi thanks yea have booked but dont mind paying fees to transfer if its going to be more of what i want

Regards

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

I haven't visited the resort myself but trust what Bronia said. You may want to send a PM to a couple of people who have reviewed the hotel recently to get their impressions of the beach, too. Most hotels offer snorkelling trips out to the reef so you wouldn't need to snorkel off the beach. They will be able to put you touch with a dive school (if there isn't one on site) who will take you to the best locations.

I see that Lux GG is still getting good reviews so it must be doing something right.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,016 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

If you want good natural long beaches then depending on time of year look at Belle Mare in the east and Blue Bay in the south east. Lux also have a hotel at Le Morne on the extreme south west peninsular.

Also Flic en Flac in the west and Trou aux Biches and Choisy in the north west have long stretches of good beach.

Lux Grand Gaube is OK and a lot of people seem to like it but its not the best hotel they have - its marketed as the least expensive to expats here.

I would look at Lux Belle Mare as well as Le Morne, unless you plan on going July or August.

luxresorts.com/en/…

Gateshead, United...
Level Contributor
38 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Hi all thanks for the help i am doing some looking now and research for my dates of travel are april 27 till mid may 2014 is that a good time to go

Thanks

Wes

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Wes, that's a great time to go as it's outside of the hottest, most humid months but still wonderfully warm. No problems with weather anywhere on the island so you have a huge choice of places to stay.

London
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Hi Wes,

I stayed there in May this year.

Whilst the beach is manmade it is, well I think, pretty nice. You can tell that its man made but it was not not really an issue for my wife and I. More than adequate unless you want to start digging great holes in it!

The view from the beach, more than makes up for it being manmade as you can see over to Flat Island. A stunning view.

Re snorkelling/diving. There is a glass bottom boat that takes guests out daily to a reef nearby which you can snorkel on for free. When we went the cross winds made it quite choppy and therefore affected the visability. The coral was in quite good condition though and we met some others that had dived there and enjoyed it.

Lastly, its worth remembering that because the hotel is on a lagoon that the water is very shallow. Therefore snorkelling from the beach is not possible.

If you want a truly stunning picture perfect beach then i would strongly recommend hiring a driver to take you to Mont Choissy which is about a 35-40 min drive away. If you pre-book at reception in advance they will provide you with a picnic basket, which also includes blankets. The picnic basket and its contents are a sight to behold!!!

Enjoy

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,315 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Grand Gaube Beach

Thanks so much for your first hand opinion - I'm sure this will help Wes!

Get answers to your questions about Grand Gaube