We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beer and driving

Which Grand Gaube hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
cumbria
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
beer and driving

Does anybody know the price of beers in the hotels? and any tips on driving on the island especially at night

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,737 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: beer and driving

Where are you staying?

Price of drinks varies from hotel to hotel, expect to pay more than in UK and you might be pleasantly surprised.

Tips on driving - get a good map, the pullout one in the back of the Globetrotter Guide is the one we use and it's perfectly adequate. At night, then make sure you have already done the drive in daylight, a lot of the roads are not lit, only in towns will you find street lighting. The obvious also is don't mix beer and driving, there are police checks.

Enjoy your holiday

Mazza :-)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,193 posts
1,623 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: beer and driving

Driving:

Take a good map with you. Signposting could be better.

Driving standards could be better, so be prepared for people suddenly pulling out from side road. Police do random stops.

Driving at night, lighting could be better and lorries tend to speed along at that time.

cumbria
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: beer and driving

thanks for your reply - we definately do not drink and drive, on holiday or here at home. We are staying at the Paul & Virginnie, any info would be appreciated

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,737 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: beer and driving

Sorry, I'm sure you don't drink and drive - no offence intended, it was the wording on your heading that made me comment - in jest I might add.

Paul & Virginie is a medium priced hotel and I would expect the drinks to be just a little higher than here in UK for their local beer. I asked because if you had been staying at a 5* hotel my experience is enough to make me tee-total, even soft drinks were about a fiver.

Best wishes

cumbria
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: beer and driving

Thankyou Mazza for your advice, no offence taken, should have been more careful regarding wording of the heading. Are petrol prices also about the same as UK

Many thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
36,960 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: beer and driving

Its mandatory to carry your driving license at all times and the police may stop you at random checks and ask to see it. There has recently been a marked increase in police checks. Speed limits on the Motorway are enforced with speed cameras and traps.

At night drivers don't always dip their headlights so beware of that.

Paul et Virginie is a nice 3* in a lovely but isolated location at Grand Gaube with lovely views out towards the northern isles. Stayed here a few years ago.

Superior rooms have baths as well as showers and bathrooms may be larger but thats about the only difference.

Eat at Le Trinquette at least once - the best food I ever had in Mauriitus!

Room lighting as in many Mauritian hotels is not too bright.

Beach is small and man made but isolated from the wind, but turn right or left and it blows a gale in winter.

Petrol prices are the same as the UK, maybe a little less.

Regards

Bronia :)

Edited: 2:30 pm, September 04, 2011
cumbria
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: beer and driving

Thankyou for your advice Bronia

Will ensure that we eat at Le Ttinquette at least once and if its that good maybe more than once.

Once again thankyou

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
17,737 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: beer and driving

Petrol was 47Mrupees per litre (equivalent to £1.10) when we were there in June/July, so not much cheaper than in UK but a tankful lasts longer than here.

Agree with Bronia about the non-dipping of headlights too, we try not to do much driving after dark.

cumbria
Level Contributor
21 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: beer and driving

Thankyou for your help, looking forward to our visit

10. Re: beer and driving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 5:05 am, September 07, 2011
Get answers to your questions about Grand Gaube