We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire payment / documents

Which Grand Gaube hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire payment / documents

Hi

I've not hired a car before abroad do I need to take my paper documents as well as the driving lisence card?

Also can you pay for car hire and other stuff by credit card in the hotel and generally out and about?

Thanks

Ireland
5 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire payment / documents

Hi, you only need a valid driving licence to rent a car. You can always pay by credit card at the hotels although you can get much cheaper rates with other dealers. if interested let me know.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,054 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire payment / documents

Boots,

Yes you need to take paper bits too as well as photo bits to be safe. You can pay by credit card, but we choose not to as some car hire companies add a per centage for this. You can get a much better deal with the local companies at a fraction of the price the hotel franchises charge. For £21/24 per day, inlcusive of CDW tax unlimited mileage you can get a decent new car. Avis, Budget et al charge much more for the same package. If you are near Grand Baie there are a couple, but the one who we have rented from every year for a long time, and who provides consistently good service is Grand Bay Contract Cars. Website is www.gbccar.mu and email is gbccar@intnet.mu

We actually prefer to pay cash BTW though you need a credit card when they deliver the car.

Regards,

Bronia

UK
Level Contributor
141 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire payment / documents

Thanks that is great

4. Re: Car hire payment / documents

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:16 am, October 07, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Grand Gaube