We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

gluten free choices

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
gluten free choices

can anyone suggest resturants that have gluten free choices on their menues, we are doing self catering but like to eat out mainly in grand baie but other towns too

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: gluten free choices

thanks so much for your reply, we are staying near Grand Baie in the north so any tips for there would be great but we intend travelling round as we are there for 6 weeks, thanks again, I really appreciate your help, Beni

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: gluten free choices

Wow 6 weeks you will have a wonderful time - great as I will now compile the list we have i.e. the restaurants we ate at and I sincerely hope you will try some of them and enjoy the experience.

Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: gluten free choices

looking forward to the trip, leaving here sunday, also looking forward to the list of resturants, so very kind of you, thanks Beni

Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: gluten free choices

Cher Beni

I want to get this list to you tonight as I have to go to Bahrain on business early tomorrow morning - however it is always a pleasant visit there much more open than Saudi Arabia.

Ok here is the list and I do hope you find it useful:

Domain Anna - fantastic place - between Quatre Borne and Flic en Flac

(Great choice of food open for lunch and dinner) give them plenty of warning and they will accommodate you - you will need transport to get to this restaurant - it has been beautifully restored etc excellent service and they do serve alcohol as well.)

Chateua Mon Desir Restaurant situated at the Ruins of Balaclava

Luigi's at Grand Baie (authentic Italian food) I even had a pizza there as they made it with gluten free flour and of course they do many vegetarian dishes as well - it was all yummy.)

Le Tandoor - Rieve due Rempart Grand Baie

Sakura Restaurant - Grand Baie

Thai Matupayasch - Plaines Wilhems - Curepipe

Restaurants in Port Louis that we also tried:

Domaine de L'Etoile - Flacq Sebastgrol

Loving Hut - Heritage Court - Emmanual Anquelil Street at Chinatown - Port Louis

Higher Taste - Ramgoolom - Port Louis

Le Capitaine - Le Caudon Waterfront Port Louis (excellent)!!!

Shanghai Express - Astrolab Shopping Waterfront Port Louis

Sunset Cafe - Le Caudon Waterfront Port Louis

27 Saint Louis Restaurant - 27B St. Louis Street - Bell Village - Port Louis (my favourite so far) exceptional !!!!!

Boulangerie and Patisserie de Sainte Croix - 104 Route de Pamplemousses - Saint Croix - Port Louis (patisseries to die for) yummy

and another exceptional Patisserie is:

Gourmandises d'Anne - Anglo Maritime House - 10 Intendance Street - Port Louis

These are all the cafes/restaurants we tried and of course also the above Patisserie shops as well - I am so lucky as I can eat anything and never put on weight where my poor husband had to stop eating the patisseries.

There will of course be many others but I have yet to try them - we were quite spoilt as my husband's cousin is a local member of Parliament in Mauritius and he spoilt me one day taking me to some wonderful places.

It is always important to enjoy good restaurants while on vacation as this can make or break the holiday.

We did have fully inclusive but we could not resist trying out the above as well.

If you have time do visit La Pirogue and try their restaurants as well you will not be disappointed and do give them plenty of warning and they will even cook anything you like even if it is not on the menu that is how accommodating they are.

Have a very safe flight and on your return do let us know how you enjoyed your vacation.

All the very best

Bon nuit

Caroline

Mentioned in this post
Bahrain
Bahrain
Middle East
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Middle East
Balaclava
Balaclava
Mauritius
Luigi's
Luigi's
622 Reviews
Mauritius
Le Tandoor
Le Tandoor
162 Reviews
Mauritius
Restaurant Sakura
Restaurant Sakura
25 Reviews
Mauritius
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
Le Capitaine
Le Capitaine
984 Reviews
Mauritius
Ireland
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: gluten free choices

hi Caroline, you are so good to reply when you are off on a trip youself, I would love to go to an arabic country, husband not so sure, I love hot and DRY so if we ever venture there I now know someone in the know!!!! thank you for the list of places to eat and for sure I will reply when I get back,we have been to Mauritius in the past but that was before I was diagnosed as being coeliac, we always book our holidays in Feb. but this year I nearly cancelled, I love to cook but not in high heat with high humidity and nearly backed out, very grateful to you, looks like I might gain some of the lost weight!!!!!!, perhaps thats not a good thing! Have you ever been to Barbados? next year for us I think, meanwhile, BIG BIG THANKYOU, "enjoy the journey" beni

Mentioned in this post
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Algarve, Portugal
Level Contributor
169 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: gluten free choices

Hello Beni

I just received your message just checking in before I leave for Bahrain - yes Bahrain is wonderful as it is our weekend there tomorrow i.e. Thursday and Friday my husband will join me and the best hotel there is the Intercontinental Hotel - simply fantastic - Bahrain is wonderful for restaurants and shopping - yes shopping best ever shopping malls and of course we have the gold souq never to be missed and now the weather is a cool 35 but no humidity we can now walk outside and enjoy the corniche etc.

I have Crohns so hence I have to be very careful as well like you I need to put on weight.

Incidentally Dubia is great but it is getting very expensive now - Abu Dhabi is better - smaller and very green as the King ordered for many trees to be planted - beautiful it is but then again so is Saudi Arabia - we have visited many different parts of the Kingdom now and it is all interesting and the Saudi people are very polite and kind and respectful which I miss when I am back visiting family in the UK to be honest.

Yes I have been to Barbados - but it was a very long time ago i.e. 20 years and obviously it will have changed a lot.

I am looking forward to my break in Bali in February - it is part a working vacation as every year I give up some weeks to teach voluntary English and Spanish and then I will tag on a holiday before returning back to the Kingdom.

Enjoy your vacation and keep me posted on your return - safe flight to you both.

Mucho saludos

Caroline

Mentioned in this post
Bahrain
Bahrain
Middle East
Abu Dhabi
Abu Dhabi
Emirate of Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia
Middle East
Barbados
Barbados
Caribbean
Bali
Bali
Indonesia
Pailles, Mauritius
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: gluten free choices

Hi, when in Mauritius you should definitely check out Quartier Gourmet. Its selling Natural Foods and for your case, gluten free products. Some hotels are already getting products from this shop when it comes to host gluten allergic guests. If your hotel doesn't know this shop, just ask them to get in contact with them. They are in Quatre Bornes. Google should be able to help finding them.

Edited: 3:42 am, July 30, 2012
Mentioned in this post
18. Re: gluten free choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:18 am, August 14, 2013