We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

need advice!!! your suggestions

Which Balaclava hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
south africa
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
need advice!!! your suggestions

Hi, i'm looking to go for 3 weeks to Mauritus in july with my 2 year old son.

I was thinking of west coast and perhaps north.

What would your choice be between: Le Plantantion hotel, Le Meridien or La Piroge...or any other hotels you might reccomend.

I'm looking for a pleasant beach, large rooms and good service!!!

Thanks

Marina

Coromandel
Level Contributor
112 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

First of all i would say that beaches at these 3 resorts will allow safe bathing for your 2-year old kid.La Plantation has the nicest architecture (recently renovated) but the quality of service/food is not up to standard and the beach is not so appealing.Le Meridien also situated in the north west is okay but i would personally choose La Pirogue which provide a better quality of service/food and a nicer beach front.Also the rooms are in thatched cottages spread around beautiful gardens.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Hi Marina,

You could also look at La Pirogues sister hotel Sugar Beach. It was renovated last year and its now 5*. La Pirogue is a lovely hotel in extensive grounds but is looking a bit dated. You can share both hotels facilities.

Look at their website at www.sugarbeachresort.com

And www.lapirogue.com

We visited the Hilton and Sugar Beach the other day and both looked good for families: www.mauritius.hilton.com

Le Victoria in the north west and Le Cannonier are also good for families, particularly Victoria, and it has lovely large rooms. In a good area away from the breezier east coast for July.

www.beachcomber-hotels.com

They are also on the bus route to Grand Baie with lots to do for everyone, or a 20 minute drive.

Le Plantation has some mixed reviews and I would be a bit wary.

Meridien is also a good choice, but rooms also a bit dated. Very large resort though with lots to do and also good loacation wise.

Regards,

Bronia :)

south africa
Level Contributor
54 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Thanks for all your suggestions..very appreciated.

I looked at all the resorts you mentioned but i really got a superberb offer from la plantation!! I did tell them about all the mixed reviews and that as i will be going alone without my husband I didn't want to spend the whole time complaining to staff.

I have been guaranteed max service (i think they are aware of the reviews).

To give you an idea: plantat hotel is offering for this long period full free full board. ..but to give you an example..for 17 nights i'm paying with all the flights + my child 2900euros against sugar beach without full board at 3600!! that would be a difference of 700 euros!! calculate lunch + drinks (apparently at sugar beach they charge in euros! a sandw about 9 euros) for 17 nights around plus - 500 euros!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Hi Marina,

Well thats a good price for sure. They have had some very good offers recently and were doing relatively cheap weekends for Mauritians to attract more custom, so perhaps they are trying harder to get it right!

Good luck with your choice,

Have a lovely holiday,

Edinburgh, United...
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Hi How was the Holiday at la plantation ? We had booked this hotel for our holiday next year 17/1/10 but due to the poor reviews here we cancelled and booked La Pirouge, We also changed airlines from air Mauritius to Emirites From Glasgow again due to poor reviews have never used this airline anybody have views ?

Regards from Scotland

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,533 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Emirates is regarded has having one of the best airline fleet in the world. They have a range of modern planes with a comprehensive IFE system. You will a changeover at Dubai at their new terminal.

You tend to get a slightly older plane for the Dubai-Mauritius leg of the journey.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Hi,

Flown Air Mauritius and Emirates frequently and EK definitely the better airline. ICE IFE is the best in the business.

www.emirates.com/uk

www.airmauritius.com

LP a good choice over Plantation.

Regards

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,034 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

Also check out airline comparisons on

www.airlinequality.com

9. Re: need advice!!! your suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, April 29, 2010
Get answers to your questions about Balaclava