We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

I have to say that I am often impressed as to the level of restaurants available in Syracuse - a NYC friend of mine once said that Syracuse had NYC-quality restaurants at a third of the price.

I am a foodie, and love to try new, great things. I don't want cheap, I don't want large portions, and I want local (so no chains). It doesn't have to be fancy - I want to taste something that is amazing.

So what are the top 1-3 places in Syracuse that you would recommend to a foodie like this, and why - what would you recommend eating there? I can offer up my contributions.

Laci's - a Tapas bar. They have so many amazing dishes there that it's hard to pick just one. I particularly like their Spanish Sliders.

Black Olive - I haven't been to their new location yet, but I think that their greek food is some of the most authentic I have had in the USA. I loved the food on my one and only trip to Greece and had struggled to find something similar.

Bistro Elephant/Lemongrass - Euro-Asian fusion in two adjoined resturants. I particularly like the Berkshire Pork that they have - a whole new pork experience.

Dinosaur BBQ is also an obvious choice to me - I have taken folks there from the southern states who said it was some of the best BBQ they had ever had, and that's saying something!

So what are your recommendations for someone that is coming to Syracuse and wants to taste something special like this?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
8,229 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

I personally don't think Dinosaur BBQ is a "foodie" restaurant at all.

Gentile's (Italian). Alto Cinco (Mexican) and Eva's (Polish) are some that come to mind; there are probably others but since I don't live in Syracuse, I don't necessarily keep up on what restaurants are "hot", etc.

If you are willing to drive a half an hour, Moro's Table in Auburn is great (better than the Syracuse ones I listed).

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

One of my favorites is Gordon Biersch. Yes, it's in a mall but I think both the food & the beer are outstanding.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

Arad Evans in Fayetteville gets good reviews. Been awhile since I have been there but I recall a very memorable meal. Nice setting about 15 minutes from downtown Syracuse.

Marcellus, New York
Level Contributor
929 posts
201 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

I know it's not Syracuse, but we really enjoyed Elderberry Pond Restaurant outside Auburn. I don't know if it is "foodie" but the food seemed quite good to us each time we've visited.

Syracuse, New York
Destination Expert
for Seven Mile Beach, West Bay, Syracuse, Cayman Islands
Level Contributor
4,781 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

Some great ideas - I haven't been to Arad Evans in a while, either.

Speaking of restaurants i haven't been to recently - I used to love BC, but someone told me that they thought it had gone downhill recently - does anyone have any recent experiences with it?

Syr NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

The Inn of the Seasons on Onondaga Hill (on West Seneca Turnpike, just outside the city of Syracuse) has delicious food and great service. It is family owned and they take pride in their restaurant. They are closed on Monday.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
15,279 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

If it's not too late, the local paper just did a "best of" list of places to go for a celebration:

syracuse.com/restaurants/…incart_m-rpt-2

8. Re: What are the best Syracuse Foodie Restaurants

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 04, 2015
Get answers to your questions about Syracuse