We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family of five staying overnight in syracuse

Which Syracuse hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
family of five staying overnight in syracuse

hi

we are a family of 5 who will be driving from Boston tho Toronto and back to Boston this August. We have given ourselves 1 night to get back to Boston, and were thinking of stopping in Syracuse. As i have said, we are a family of five, with 3 children the oldest of which is 11. We do not want to spend more than $200 for a nights accommodation. What type of place is Syracuse, and is it a good place for us to stay, bearing in mind we have to get to Boston the next day? If anyone has suggestions for other towns/cities that would be better for getting to Boston or hotels in Syracuse please post them here. Please note that we don't really want to travel more than 4 hours from the Canadian border at Niagara.

Thanks

Edited: 1:59 pm, June 23, 2010
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

I am assuming that you are driving the NY State Thruway and just interested in a place to 'park' for the night and, if that is the case, I think Syracuse would be an excellent choice for an overnight stay. We have many motels/hotels off of exit 35 on the NY State Thruway and they have a variety of price ranges along with amenities (pool etc.). Google for hotels in East Syracuse NY and you are sure to bring up a lengthy listing. BTW, I think it is more like a 5 hour drive from Boston to Syracuse.

jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,557 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

We have the Homewood Suites & Candlewood Suites as well as many chains at Carrier Circle. We als have a new Holiday Express near Erie Blvd. Extended Stay Suites & Residence Inn, Double Tree located at Carrier Circle. You can google the chains I listed and you will find directions & reviews. you can also look at the left side of the page for hotel listing. You will fine expensive and inexpensive hotels. Candlewood Suites should be reasonable in price. I have stayed a many in other states, I have also stayed at Homewood Suites here in Syr. and it is really nice.

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

Thanks

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
444 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

Embassy Suites is another good choice. Right off the thruway at Carrier Circle. They are two room suites, 2 double beds and a sleeper sofa. Should be under $200 for the night. Here's the link:

…hilton.com/en_US/…index.do

Syr NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

There are some hotels (Best Western, Holiday Inn, and Knights Inn) off Exit 37 of I-90, on the western side of Syracuse. This might be a good choice if you are looking to get the kids out and moving around as the hotels are about 15 minute drive from Onondaga Lake Park. The park is free and has paved walkways or you can rent bikes (some that are built for families and several people ride together.) Also, if you are traveling through Syracuse in late Aug., make sure you book well ahead as we have the NYS State Fair then and everything will be booked up way in advance.

Syracuse,NY
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

Syracuse would be a good mid-trip stop..

For conveniece & with kids... I would suggest the Dewitt area because Erie Blvd is one long stretch of road filled with a variety of stores and restaurants, etc. I am the mother of 5, grandmother of 8 and I know driving around in an unfamilar town looking for something to kill a few hrs with kids is the last thing you want to do!

There is a Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites DEWITT just off Erie Blvd on Bridge Street. I've not been there but it's brand new and you can get a room for well under $200 - it's near a lot of stores & restaurants (everything from chinese & fast food to family chain types & steak houses) within a few minutes drive if you want to take the kids out for a few hours.

hiexpress.com/hotels/us/en/syrdw/hoteldetail

There's Shoppingtown Mall a few miles away which also has movie theaters, a Barnes & Noble with a nice large kids section, a McDonalds with Playplace, Chuckie Cheese, etc.

There's also a "Tully's" - a kid-friendly sports oriented restaurant with a zillion tvs and an arcade room.

If you have more time to spend in Syracuse... the zoo is not a far drive - it's nice but not huge so can easily be done in a couple hours.

Other areas that have several popular hotels to choose from, are the 7th North St area and Carrier Circle... but there is less close by in the way of stores and eating, etc.

Dorset, UK
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

thanks, we've booked the Holiday Inn Dewitt - really good price too.

8. Re: family of five staying overnight in syracuse

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, January 24, 2011