We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations

N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendations

Hi, I have to be in Syracuse for one day and am looking to take a trip for three days before ! Can anyone recommend a good place to visit , I am driving from manhattan. Thinning about lake placid lake George or finger lakes ?

Mentioned in this post
Syracuse
Syracuse
Finger Lakes, NY
Massachusetts
Level Contributor
34 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendations

I'd avoid Lake George due to it being a somewhat outdated family vacation area. Lake Placid is cute for shopping and hiking options close by. Finger Lakes include many wineries, hiking, etc. Depends on what you want to do but Finger Lakes may be a nice stop if you're headed back to Manhattan. I hear Watkins Glen is a great place to stay (I'll be staying there in a week, just haven't been in a very long time to know more).

Mentioned in this post
Watkins Glen
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes, NY
N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendations

thanks! any other beach towns or lakes thats midway manhattan to syracuse ? we area leaning towards finger lakes for now

!

N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendations

thanks! let me know how you like the hotel! we are planning to go june 18th to 20th , so appreciate all input!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,550 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendations

I agree that the Finger Lakes are a good idea. I like the picturesque town of Skaneateles but you should post in the Finger Lakes forum. Also, be sure to include budget & bedding configuration/size preference for a better recommendation.

If I had to recommend a place to stay in Skaneateles, I'd recommend a little boutique hotel run by the iconic Sherwood Inn called the Packwood House. Some of the rooms have balconies overlooking the lake but I don't know if it's within your budget.

Mentioned in this post
Skaneateles
Skaneateles
Finger Lakes, NY
Packwood House
Packwood House
70 Reviews
Skaneateles, NY
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendations

Finger Lakes would be an excellent place to spend those days.

Ithaca makes a great base if you want a mix of culture, nature and wine. It is has one of the best (weekend) Farmers Markets in the country. It is a city of about 30,000 (large by Finger Lakes standards). If you wanted a smaller town convenient to Ithaca, consider Trumansburg or Aurora.

Skaneateles is close to Syracuse and is good for a few hours - definitely not three days. You could check it out as a last stop on the way to Syracuse.

The Finger Lakes are also a more convenient locale to Syracuse as Syracuse is just north of the region.

I agree with the earlier poster about Lake George and I am not a fan of Lake Placid either (I prefer quieter Saranac Lake), Both are quite aways from Syracuse so you would have a 3 hour drive to SYR from LG and a 4 hour drive to SYR from LP..

Edited: 5:41 pm, June 06, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
Skaneateles
Skaneateles
Finger Lakes, NY
Syracuse
Syracuse
Finger Lakes, NY
N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendations

SO finger lakes is best choice ? Can spend three days there ?

N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendations

I called. Prices are within my range !!! I wasn't looking for something with outdoor pool. So will keep searching

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,550 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendations

As far as I'm concerned, you can easily spend 3 days in the Finger Lakes area but please note, it is not one city but an area of Central New York State. Check the section of TripAdvisor for details.

Here is a link to the Finger Lakes forum:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g14803…

Edited: 6:29 pm, June 06, 2017
Mentioned in this post
Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,809 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendations

You could spend three days using Ithaca as a base alone and find plenty to do/see.

Mentioned in this post
Ithaca
Ithaca
Finger Lakes, NY
N d
brooklym
Level Contributor
42 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendations

Thanks