We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destiny USA mall

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
Destiny USA mall

Hi - I'm planning a two night trip to Syracuse and will be spending some time at the large mall there. I've come across a review that mentioned that "everyone knows not to go to this mall at night".

Why? Is it not safe to be out and about in Syracuse at night? Car break-ins? That is at every mall if you leave things out in the open.

I'll probably be at the mall for the entire day checking out all the stores and WonderWorks. I was even considering taking in a comedy show at the mall in the evening which would mean leaving there after dark.

Can any locals share their opinions of best times to go and any special considerations on the area?

We are hoping to spend the night in Liverpool - is this a relatively safe area?

Staten Island, New...
Destination Expert
for Cape May, Jersey Shore
Level Contributor
3,187 posts
69 reviews
1. Re: Destiny USA mall

I am not a local, and not a frequent visitor to the mall, but last year while doing college tours, I did visit Destiny USA in the evening with my family. Since there are no other replies, here is my take.

The mall is HUGE. There are numerous parking structures, parking lots and seemingly parking under some of the stores. Some parking areas apparently require a shuttle from the far reaches of the lot. We found parking close to an entrance and had no difficulty. I would not want to park far from the entrance in some of the surrounding lots there, but that is my opinion in any mall. Malls are known for frequent auto break ins and robberies. Keep any items in your vehicle out of sight and your car locked, just as you would do in your home mall parking lot.

We visited on a weekday in the summertime. The mall was mostly empty. I believe the mall was opened with the intention of being a welcome oasis during the long, cold winters of upstate NY. There were numerous signs at entrances that unaccompanied minors were prohibited from the mall. I have seen that indication before in other malls so it did not concern me. There were no roving gangs of teens or any activity I would be concerned with during our visit there.

Please note, Syracuse is a college town and some areas and neighborhoods are very urban in feel. There are many, many younger people in the town and area. I live in NYC, so perhaps my perception of "problems" are different than if I lived in one of the small farming towns in the area surrounding Syracuse. I at no time felt uncomfortable there, and if ever in the area again would not hesitate to visit.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Destiny USA mall

There have been occasional issues with kids running amuck in the past but they've beefed up security since then. I've been there with a friend (neither one of us is young) at night for dinner & a movie & have never had any issues. Personally, I don't care to park in the underground parking garage unless there are weather concerns. I prefer to park in the above ground lot as close as I can.

As for where to stay, I'd prefer to park in the 7th North St/Electronics Parkway area as there are a number of restaurants & hotels there but Liverpool will also work. Please note that Liverpool is a very large suburb of Syracuse & if you don't check a map, you could be staying fairly far away from the mall.

Syracuse, New York
1 post
3. Re: Destiny USA mall

Do not park too far away from the mall- I suggest the parking garages. You won't need to lug your coat around with you all day and it will be close to put any purchases away during the day.

The comedy shows are good, but eat elsewhere- the food is not great and overpriced at the comedy club.

Liverpool is a good place to stay and it will be quick to get to the mall from there.

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Destiny USA mall

First, I had a problem editing my reply above so that 1st sentence in the 2nd paragraph in reply 2 should read "As for where to stay, I'd stay (not park).

In reply to the comment that the food is not good, there are a couple of good spots to eat, my brother & I both like Gordon Biersh which is a brew pub with good food. There are also a couple of chain eateries. Naturally, there are better places to eat in the city but there are options if you don't want to leave the mall.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
11,204 posts
205 reviews
5. Re: Destiny USA mall

I agree that Liverpool is fine for your overnight.

There have been some problems with loitering youths harassing people and they have increased security and are allegedly enforcing the rule that minors can not be unaccompanied after a certain hour. I would park close to an entrance (either to the mall or one of retailers with their own entrances) but agree that you should be fine. Like anywhere you visit, be aware of your surroundings.

"I believe the mall was opened with the intention of being a welcome oasis during the long, cold winters of upstate NY."

A romanticized conclusion but untrue IMO. It was built to make a developer a lot of money and the developer's tactics have led to much controversy over the years.

But it is nice to have a large mall in Central NY.

Edited: 4:39 pm, March 31, 2017
1 post
1 review
6. Re: Destiny USA mall

Thanks for your question (and thanks to all the other commenters). All of us at Destiny USA pride ourselves on making Destiny USA a world-class tourist destination for traveling families from all over the world. Safety is of utmost importance to all of us, and it's something we take very seriously. Please take a look at all of the reviews for our property to get a true sense of just how unique and family-friendly destination we are. And if you have any questions on what to check out, please don't hesitate to give me a buzz. I'll be happy to show you and your family around. Aiden McGuire, director of marketing, Destiny USA: 315-410-1740. Enjoy your stay!

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
18,084 posts
28 reviews
7. Re: Destiny USA mall

Just had another thought regarding hotels. There is a fairly new hotel called Aloft which is just down Solar Street from the mall. Give a look at that. Since it is new, I don't know much about it but it's doubtless the closest hotel to the mall.

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
8. Re: Destiny USA mall

Thanks for your reply! :)

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
9. Re: Destiny USA mall

Great - I'll check out Aloft. I have a hotel booked in Liverpool, but it doesn't hurt to check out other options

Halifax, Canada
Level Contributor
46 posts
98 reviews
10. Re: Destiny USA mall

Thank you to all for your assistance.... sounds like a regular mall experience, only larger. Teenagers are bored everywhere and act badly sometimes.

I'm planning to visit on Thursday before school is out for the year. Just two of us with no kids so hopefully it will be a bit quieter with easier parking before the summer tourist nutty season begins!

Get answers to your questions about Syracuse
Recent Conversations