We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

Level Contributor
84 posts
Save Topic
What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

1. How to get best from NYC to Syracuse? We want to spend the traveling day as long as possible in NY. How is it to go by bus?

2. We are going to stay for a week in Syracuse. What can we do? Is the MOST still something for an 11-year-old boy? Is there something around about Native American Culture? Outdoor activities like kayaking, rock climbing, waterfalls?

We are going to be at least on weekend in Skaneateles...

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

Define best way. There are buses from NYC to Syracuse but they will take all day to get here as will traveling by car. You can also do Amtrak or plane, perhaps JetBlue.

The Most is a science museum so if he is into science, it would be a good idea.

Here is a place at Onondaga Lake park which talks about the Onondaga Nation (the local tribe)

http://www.skanonhcenter.org./

Here is a link to the Onondaga County Parks Department

http://www.onondagacountyparks.com/

As for anything else, I'd have the boy do research to see what he would like.

Click on Skaneateles to go to the TripAdvisor page on Skaneateles.

Philly Suburbs
Level Contributor
633 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

Why are you going to Syracuse for a week? I assume it is to visit family/friends. Ask them what is available.

Will you have a car when you get there? Otherwise, I would suggest renting a car either from NYC or when you arrive in Syracuse. You could do day trips to places like Rochester and Canandaigua. Niagara Falls is also a realistic daytrip, although you did not specify when you are going.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

It doesn't take all day to get to SYR by bus from NYC (5 hours).

The Rosamind Gifford (Burnet Park) Zoo is a nice attraction; I have been several times over the years and it is much improved from when I was a kid.

Destiny USA has some indoor kids attractions that have gotten the thumbs up from kids I know.

Nearby Clarks Reservation State Park, Chittenango Falls State Park and Green Lakes State Park are all great. You can swim at Green Lakes.

Beaver Lake Nature Center (Baldwinsville) is a possibility; nice trails and you can rent kayaks and canoes.

Sainte Marie among the Iroquois is a museum on Onondaga Lake (living history in summer). The Salt museum is nearby as well.

Downtown, the Erie Canal museum is excellent and Erie Canal State Park has trails.

Camillus Forest Unique area is an easy hike that showcases old growth trees.

Baltimore Woods (Marcellus - near Skaneateles) has nice trails and a variety of activities.

So lots of ideas ...

Edited: 10:50 am, February 10, 2017
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
17,571 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

You will need a car to get to Skaneateles, I believe. There may be a bus but you'd have to check that out. Skaneateles is a 30-45 minute drive from Syracuse.

As for the drive time, I was basing that on my drive time in my personal car. It may be a quicker drive in a bus since they may not stop as frequently as I do. Still it's a most of the day drive.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
10,814 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

Definitely need a car for Skaneateles ... OP, I assume you have your mode of transportation for there settled since you didn't ask about how to get to there as part of your question.

It is also about a 5 hour drive by car assuming no glaring traffic issues and depending on where in NYC you are leaving from ... so you will have part of the day of arrival to do things depending on when you depart NYC.

Edited: 12:23 pm, February 11, 2017
6. Re: What to do with a boy (11) in Syracuse?/ Trip from NYC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 13, 2018
Get answers to your questions about Syracuse