We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
1,022 posts
179 reviews
Save Topic
transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Newark Airport appears to be the closest one to Staten Island, where we consider staying during our visit to NYC. Does that mean that getting ground transportation from that airport to Staten Island is cheaper than getting the transport from JFK?

If so, what means of transportation do you suggest? We will probably arrive late, so we'd like to minimize the hassle.

Mentioned in this post
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Also -you will have the option of paying in cash or by credit card. The credit card option is available by using the machine at the taxi stand and involves an additional service fee of five dollars. I did not use it on my last trip on May 4, 2013 preferring instead to pay in cash. The fare was $48.00 plus tolls and tip - we paid the driver $75.00.

----------------------------

panynj.gov/airports/ewr-taxi-car-van-service…

This is a sample listing of the flat rates - ask the dispatcher for your exact fare to your Staten Island destination.

Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
12. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

BobCat, the question was about public transportation. Not everyone wants to spend $50 on a taxi - they're staying on Staten Island to save money.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Here is the questuion ----------------

-------------------------

I would need to get from Newark airport to the Comfort Inn on Staten Island. The Address is: 310 Wild Ave, Staten Island, NY

Do you guys have any suggestion on how to get there by public transport?

------------------------------

The flat rate taxi is the best method, saves money - save time - saves tolls - no need to go to Manhattan "madness" or to Bayonne - no riding a bus with luggage - if the OP wants to get to his destination quickly with no hassles, the taxi is the only way to accomplish this.

Edited: 7:45 am, May 09, 2013
Mentioned in this post
Comfort Inn Staten Island
Comfort Inn Staten Island
362 Reviews
Staten Island, NY
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
14. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

I agree with you, except in that it does not save money, and a person who is so penny wise and pound foolish as to stay in Staten Island to visit Manhattan and who asks about public transit from Newark to Staten Island is probably more interested in saving a few dollars instead of saving time and convenience.

If it were me, I would take the cab, but if it were me, I wouldn't be staying on Staten Island to begin with.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

These is nothing in his question and comments about why he is staying on Staten Island. He did not say he wanted a budget travel method nor did he say he wants to visit Manhattan. He may very well want these things or he may have business on Staten Island.

I can't see my way clear to all of these various travel methods as saving time and money. It is no easy effort to travel in the wrong direction to reach ones destination.

If he provides more details of his plans a better travel option might be available to him.

Edited: 9:57 am, May 09, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
26,158 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

No, but he did ask for public transportation directions from the airport. I think we're all just trying to give the best advice.

Have a nice day!

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Have a nice day!

Huntsville, Alabama
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
18. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

Can you help me? I'm staying at Staten Island w/son at Holiday Inn. Is it the taxi at the airport that charges the fixed rate? I appreciate your positive post vs. so many discouraging posters. Please tell me what to do to get that 30-45 minute ride to my hotel w/my 9 year old son. Thanks, from a single-mother teacher who could not afford to stay in Manhattan.

Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
12,622 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

NickyBonita: You should really start your own thread. Are you flying into Newark Airport and you want to get to Staten Island? The Port Authority website does not show any sample fares from Newark Airport to Staten Island. You'll probably have to get a car service. Be prepared for the tolls and tip as well. Don't prepay but ask for a written estimate that includes tolls. Then add 15-20% of the base fare, without tolls, to estimate an appropriate tip.

Are you staying at the Holiday Inn Express-Staten Island West? If so I'd really try to change your plans. It will be a long trip from the hotel to the Staten Island Ferry. Long Island City, in Queens, would be a much better location for budget alternatives. From LIC you can be in Manhattan in just a few minutes - one or two subway stops.

Mentioned in this post
Holiday Inn Express Staten Island West
Holiday Inn Express...
375 Reviews
Staten Island, NY
Queens
Queens
New York
Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,959 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: transportation from Newark Airport to Staten Island

nickybonita

Taxi fares from the airport to Staten Island are fixed by law and vary based upon exact destination on SI. The dispatcher will quote you the exact fare with receipt.. You will have to add on tolls and tip.From the airport to New Springville Staten Island were I live is $45.00 + toll + tip.