We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staten Island to Manhattan

Derby, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
38 reviews
Save Topic
Staten Island to Manhattan

How easy is this without a car - we do not want to hire one, but instead use NY transport which we hear is very good - we will be staying at the Hampton Inn and aiming to get into Manhattan most days, including one trip to a wedding that is likely to go on late

Basically I would like to know how accessable the Hampton Inn is via any transport, taxis etc are fine if they go straight from the Ferry and are reasonable - what times do these run till, is there a taxi rank and if not which companies offer all night transport

Would it be better to get a cab from Times Square and use that to get right to the hotel, and if so how much would that be?

Sorry for so many questions but it is the first time I will be in NY - I will have my teen daughter with me too so safety is a huge factor

Finally my firend tells me that Staten Island is awful but the travel guides tell me otherwise - it there more crime etc here than in say Brooklyn?

What can I expect from Staten Island?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
16,413 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staten Island to Manhattan

You should repost this question on the New York City forum, which is much more widely read:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60763-i5-New_York…

When you do, delete the line about crime in Brooklyn, which is comically outdated and will only get you yelled at.

New York City, New...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
98,390 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staten Island to Manhattan

While the hotel gets great reviews, Staten Island is an impractical place to stay to visit NYC, especially without a car. Taxis do not cruise in Staten Island so you need to use buses to get around there (or phone for a car service). Most people who live there own a car. A taxi from Manhattan to Staten Island will be $50+. It will take a minimum of an hour to get to Manhattan from there. The hotel is not within walking distance of the ferry. YOu need to take a bus. You can then switch to an express bus into Manhattan or use the ferry. The ferry runs all night, but in early morning hours only runs once an hour.

http://www.siferry.com/Schedules.aspx

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
14,356 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staten Island to Manhattan

Your friend has been pulling your leg. Staten Island is the jewel of the City. The crime jokes are not funny.

Taxi fares can be expensive. I'd suggest taking one of the express busses to Manhhattan. Ask at the hotel for the best route. Here is the map.

http://www.mta.info/nyct/maps/bussi.pdf

4. Re: Staten Island to Manhattan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:25 am, October 10, 2009