We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

We will be in the Skaneateles area for two nights in mid October, on our way up to Canada. Checked hotels, B&B's, airbnb, etc. and there seemed to be more reasonable places to stay in Auburn. Would that location be good as a two night stopover?

13 replies to this topic
Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Depends on what you want to do while in the area, but if cost is a consideration, Auburn is fine, especially as it's close to Skaneatales and other points in the Finger Lakes.

What are you looking for in the town you stay in?

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

It would be nice if the town had some charm, or pleasant country feeling, rather than an urban feel. And, of course that it is a safe area. We would use the town as a base to see close by attractions or other interesting towns nearby - for instance thinking of checking out Niagara on the lake (rather than Niagara Falls).

Fort Collins...
Level Contributor
408 posts
667 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Auburn is is a fairly typical older small-town upstate NY - some charm, some not so charming, but definately not urban. Skaneateles is also small town but quite a bit more trendy and upscale - hence the higher prices. Both are good spots for visiting the NY Finger Lakes region - wineries, lakes, antiques, parks, etc.

Niagara-on-the-Lake is a beautiful upscale community with much charm. But note it is not what I would consider "nearby" to either Auburn or Skaneateles - probably about a 2.5 hour drive plus the border crossing time. Also note that mid-October is still "leef peeping" and "wine harvest" time and can be fairly busy in the area.

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Thanks so much for your input. Sounds like Skaneateles would be more to our liking. We once stayed in a small upstate town that we were not familiar with, and found it not to be very desirable. Not that I'm looking for upscale, but trendy and charming sound nice. I don't know what I was thinking - of course Niagara on the Lake is too far for a quick visit. Maybe we could stop there on the way back from Canada instead.

There is a place in Skaneateles that I found on Tripadvisor that seems pretty reasonable - the Birds Nest Motel. Are you familiar with that establishment? Reviews were mostly favorable, some not so..

Lodi, New York
Level Contributor
733 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

I will also put my vote in for Skaneateles. I only live an hour from there, and when we can get away it's one of my favorite day trips. You can also take a drive through Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge before you get on the NYS Thruway in Waterloo (Exit 41) to continue on to Canada, if you travel west on Routes 5&20 through Auburn after you leave Skaneateles. It's definitely worth the little side trip, especially early morning or late afternoon/evening: http://www.fws.gov/refuge/montezuma/.

Edited: 3:02 pm, September 14, 2013
jamesville ny
Destination Expert
for Fort Myers
Level Contributor
5,629 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Niagara-on-the-lake is about 3 /1/2 to 4 hrs from Skan/Auburn. We live 15mins. out side of Syracuse and often drive up to NOTL and stay 2 nights. If the Bird's Nest is open, I think you might like it. You will need a passport to cross the boarder to CA.

Aubrey, Texas
Level Contributor
10,527 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

I can't argue with staying in Skaneateles but check out the Springside Inn in Auburn which is a good hotel with a fine restaurant. The Seward House in Auburn is well worth a visit.

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Either way you go, I'd like to suggest a route to get there.

http://goo.gl/maps/e9gyx

I only did the map from Binghamton, as either of the only two ways I would consider from LI go through Binghamton. The ride up NY41 into Skaneatales that time of year should be well worth any additional time (and it won't be much). Doing that northbound will give you many really nice views of the lake (it's not as nice southbound), and it's pretty direct.And even if you do stay in Auburn, it's the same route.

Long Island
Level Contributor
82 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

Thanks again to everyone for all your suggestions. Going up Rte 41 sounds good. Obviously, would not have known that without your input. That's what makes Tripadvisor so great. We are tossing it between Birds Nest Inn in Skaneateles and Inn at the Finger Lakes in Auburn. Both are very reasonable, and both have mixed reviews. Wherever we stay, it will be used as a base to visit other areas. This stopover will be one of many going to and from Canada; hence the concern to keep the cost of accommodations low. I'm sure I will have many other questions for our trip, probably on different forums. Thanks again to all for your helpful input.

nj
Level Contributor
118 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?

not sure what status of birdsnest is-2 motels near each other and they may be for sale. keep in mind they are both a few miles from downtown Skaneateles. I think you might like staying in town better where you can walk to everything.

Reply to: Best place to stay-Skaneateles or Auburn?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Skaneateles