We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Topic
What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Hi, We are taking our 13-year old daughter to Skidmore for a 3-week summer program in mid-June, We are travelling from Hong Kong and the first port to land is New York City. We have around 10 days to spend before our daughter checks into her summer program and a few more days to explore Saratoga Springs on our own before returning to Hong Kong. We are thinking of visiting one more location besides New York City and Saratoga Springs. Could someone please recommend what would be a good place to visit which is not too far out of the way from New York CIty to Saratoga Springs? We plan to rent a car after we leave New York CIty. Our friends in Hong Kong suggested Boston or Fingers Lakes but they seem quite far away. We will need to make some stops in between since we will not be able to drive four or five hours non-stop, If these two are the obvious choices, which do you think is a better choice for a couple with a teenage daughter? Thanks in advance for your help.

Kent, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Provincetown, Wellfleet
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

You could visit Hyde Park. It has the Culinary Institute of America, the Frankln D. Roosevelt Home and Museum and the Vanderbilt Home.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Thank you Howland_Owl for your suggestion. Hyde Park sounds ideal as a stop-over and it is right between New York City and Saratoga Springs on the map. We can visit it on our way back to New York city to split up the journey. I am also looking for places to stay for a few days when our daughter is with us. Do you have other suggestions for us? Many thanks,

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

This is a popular resort en route:

http://www.mohonk.com/?isfullhtml=y

Also, if your teen is adventurous, Hunter Mountain has an adventure course:

huntermtn.com/huntermtn/…zipline.aspx

The drive from NYC to Saratoga is about 4 hours. You may want to consider a train to Saratoga (beautiful ride) and car rental from there.

My preference would be to spend time in the Adirondack Mountains (north of Saratoga Springs) instead of in between. Leave plenty of time to explore NYC, too.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Thank you jkelly86! I shall study the three places that you mentioned.

I just want to be sure, train ride means Amtrak, right? I found from Amtrak website an early morning service and a late afternoon service from Penn Station NYC to Saratoga Springs. I am surprised to see that the train journey is almost 4 hours too.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,302 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Yes, Amtrak is correct.

Unfortunately, the train stops in Albany for about 30 minutes. You could attempt to rent a car there, but this has proven difficult for many travelers. Saratoga's train station has plenty of transportation options and is very close to downtown. Sit on the left side of the train Northbound. It is worth the price for the ease of travel and the spectacular views.

Hong Kong, China
4 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

Thanks. I like the idea of taking a train and then drive from there. I shall explore whether it is possible to book a car from Albany or Saratoga Springs. Thanks again.

7. Re: What to do enroute from New York City to Saratoga Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, April 08, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Saratoga Springs