We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

We're attending a wedding in Lake George. We then wanted to visit Saratoga Springs the next day, so I had booked a hotel there, then we are heading to ALB to fly home the next day.

But I just checked the map and is SS really only half an hour from LG? (lower part, the village)?

If so, would you just spend the night in LG, go back and forth to SS during the day, then drive from LG to ALB (1 1/2 hrs or so)? Or is SS special enough that we should plan the overnight there?

Deciding factors are whether we want to drive back to LG only to then drive to ALB the next day (passing by SS again), and the fact that the SS hotels are much pricier than where we are staying in LG.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
for Lake George, Lake George
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

Your post leaves me with more questions than answers in order to help. First when is the wedding, summer, spring, fall, winter? Also what do you like to do, swim (LG), hike (LG), shop (outlets LG - fancier stuff SS), good food (SS), nightlife (SS year round, LG warmer weather) or other stuff?

Assuming it is better weather period - like spring or summer - I suggest staying in Lake George for the wedding and you can travel to SS easily enough. Lake George to the Albany Airport is about an hour or so. It is a very easy drive. Saratoga is a terrific place as is Lake George. Depending on what you want to do though - and the time of the year - may change whether you stay in LG the whole time or not. But if the cost is an issue then the drive back and forth is easy and not too far at all.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

ADK has given you great advice.

The only thing I would add is that personally I would prefer to stay near the wedding. (I also enjoy Lake George in all seasons.) If you have a second night, then I would stay in Saratoga just to experience it.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

Thanks. We would definitely be spending the night of the wedding at the venue in LG.

My question basically was if SS was nice enough to spend the night there, at a higher price, than just doing it as a day trip from LG - it will NOT be during racing season, but the hotels are still quite expensive. This would be the day after the wedding. We want to visit the Racing Hall of Fame and browse the downtown area, and have a nice dinner.

I could be way off base here, but it just seems to me (looking at hotel quality and prices) that LG is more family oriented vacation casual, and SS is more upscale. If that's true, it would be nice to end on a high note? I've never been to either, just looking for a local's perspective on the feel of each place.

Our flight home is not until 2 pm out of ALB, so staying at either is logistically easy, just a question of where we want to stay.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

If the cost is not a big deal - then stay the second night in SS. It is really quite nice. SS is more 'upscale' than Lake George and also has more and better food options than LG. LG has a few places that are good - but most are touristy food places. The Racing Museum/HOF is a neat place.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

That's the way I'm leaning.

Another question - is there more than one racetrack? I knew we were outside the "famous" racing season, but I saw a website (can't remember which now) that said there would be harness racing while we were there...but it seemed the track had a slightly different name and the track logo looked different.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,281 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

Hi again!

I agree with ADK- if the extra money isn't a deal breaker, go for Saratoga the 2nd night. It is so nice not to have to drive after a big meal, and you may decide to stay out late and see the town at night.

You can find info on harness racing and the racino here:

www.saratogagamingandraceway.com/Home.aspx

It is definately a much different experinece than throughbred racing, but many folks enjoy it. HTH.

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

It is much different type of racing...so different that I am up at the harness and down at the Thoroughbred!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

We 've been to both kinds of racing, so that's not the question...is it the same physical track, you know, the one in "You're So Vain", lol, the one everyone thinks of when you talk about Saratoga? (well, I'm sure those of you who live there don't have this impression of Saratoga, but you know what I mean, hopefully!)

Lake George, New...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
377 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

The harness track is not the one in the song. So I do not know if "his" horse won at the harness track too.... I sometimes tell people that the Saratoga track in the song is the one where I live. Some people know it - but as we, well as I, age fewer seem to be familiar with the song.

Edited: 4:51 pm, November 27, 2009
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
26,824 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where should we stay - Saratoga Springs or Lake George?

Ok, that's all I wanted to know, thanks. We wanted to go to "the" track in SS, not "a" track...and yes I'm that old, lol.