We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

Which Saratoga Springs hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

What is the area like at Christmas / New Year? Is there lots to do / things open and how is the weather? We have a young son (will be around 9 months old - still at a transportable age). Things to do will be adult orientated but need to be child friendly!

Any advice or suggestions appreciated! thanks.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

Well, it will most likely be cold and snowy, but the city doesn't shut down. The shops and restaurants will be open, and you absolutely can't beat the First Night Saratoga on New Year's Eve. Very family friendly. What types of things would you like to do? How long will you stay?

Scotland
Level Contributor
42 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

thanks for the response. We will have about 5 days in the area. Have been before but without kids and in summer / fall. Like nice shopping, cafes, interesting places, walks. Interested to hear about the NY Eve celebrations and kids aspect! Thanks.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

Here is a quote from firstnightsaratoga.com:

"A program of the YMCA of Saratoga, this diverse, innovative, family-oriented activity is the largest New Year’s Eve event in upstate New York, and typically draws a crowd of more than 15,000 revelers to the Spa City each December 31st. First Night promotes the visual and performing arts of all genres, including classical, jazz, rock, dance, folk, children’s activities, theater, comedy, plus window and street performances and art exhibits."

They have last year's schedule on the website if you'd like to check it out. The event usually sells out before December 31st, so it's a good idea to purchase the tickets (buttons) in advance.

They even have the Congress Park Carousel open for the evening and fireworks at midnight. Our family loves it.

The rest of the trip could be filled with museums, shopping, day trips, etc... you should check out saratoga.org too.

mediamonster323
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

there is the victorian streetwalk coming up the thursday after thanksgiving, which is really popular in this area. it's awesome for adults and also really fun for kids with Santa and everything. here is some good information on what that event is all about: saratoga.com/news/victorian-streetwalk.cfm

saratoga.com and other sites actually have a lot of information wehre you can look at events calendars and see what's coming up and everything. i know this bc i signed up for the saratoga.com email newsletter, and they have been sending me the highlighted events every month in the area.

they just sent one last week i think, so if you signed up for it, they would probably send antoher one before the holidays.

it doesn't usually snow much in this area before Christmas - and even Christmas is a gamble most years. But it will still be very cold. so no matter what, make sure that baby is bundled!

hope this helped!!

Monmouth County NJ
Level Contributor
80 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

See if the Parting Glass is hosting McKrell's Christmas Show. I went to that a few years ago (sans kid) but if might be ok especially if they still run the daytime shows.

Saratoga Springs...
Destination Expert
for Saratoga Springs
Level Contributor
2,267 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

Scotlass-

I hope you made it to First Night Saratoga-

it was awesome this year!

Lots of snow this season too.

Hope you have a great visit!

7. Re: Saratoga at Christmas / New Year

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:20 am, September 14, 2009