We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PGA Championship in August

Which Rochester hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Amelia Island
Level Contributor
94 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
PGA Championship in August

Where to stay if all Rochester hotels sold out? Tournament is at Oak Hill CC in early-mid August.

Have never been to area before. Should we stay closer to Buffalo/Amherst area and go visit

Niagra Falls one day? Should we stay closer to the Syracuse area? Flying into Rochester or Buffalo about the same price right now. Please any suggestions or advice......thank you!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: PGA Championship in August

Fly into Rochester, look at the few hotels in Canandaigua or Farmington NY. If thoe are booked up, you could go to Geneva (now we're about 40 minutes from the tournament), then move to Waterloo and Seneca Falls. After those options are exhausted, then consider Buffalo, keeping i mind the tourney is on the opposite side of Rochester from Buffalo, but not by too much. You could also look at Batavia instead of Buffalo, that's closer, though the town itself is.... just OK. There's also a back way into Rochester from Niagara Falls. I would say the order I have them is a decent order to look (do Batavia before Buffalo, however)

If you have the extra day to explore and you stay in any of the places listed that aren't Buffalo/Batavia/Niafara Falls, then you could visit the Finger Lakes region, there are a lot of options. If you really want to see Niagara Falls, it could still be easily done form any of the places, obviously choosing Buffalo or NF would be best.

Edited: 9:50 pm, June 14, 2013
Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: PGA Championship in August

I would suggest The Quiet Place. A collection of private homes in the Canandaigua Lake area. All are very well maintained, well equipped, clean & comfortable. All are about 45 minutes South East of Oak Hill. http://www.thequietplace.com

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
431 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: PGA Championship in August

I love The Quiet Place but it's not cheap by local standards, about $200 a night. Depends on how long you're staying, how much you want to spend, and how much free time you'll have. If you've got the time, Niagara Falls is worth the time for a day trip, just keep in mind that if you want to go to the Canadian side you'll need a passport or passport card.

Rochester, New York
Level Contributor
68 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: PGA Championship in August

I agree with yankeedave, The Quiet Place is not cheap, but their properties are outstanding. I would say they are a good value. If a B&B is something that you would be interested in, have a look at: http://www.stayfingerlakes.com/

PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: PGA Championship in August

If you haven't already made your decision you should check again. I think hotels near the course put back quite a few rooms initially and now they are releasing them based on a lower demand. We actually got a call from the Del Monte Lodge that they now had rooms.

Rochester NY
Level Contributor
39 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: PGA Championship in August

Don't forget to make reservations for restaurants in advance as well! All the good places will book fast! We are huge foodies and I would recommend: Char at the Strathallen, Reverly (just opened about 3 weeks ago) and a new place opening this week by people that know the restaurant business well so I am sure it will be awesome....Avvino.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
9 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: PGA Championship in August

Am envious of your PGA ticket(s) -- will be difficult finding rooms, as you've no doubt discovered. We have visited R. several times -- our daughter went to Nazareth College, you might well park there on tournament days -- and love the R. area. Check our blog (2 Rochester trips) for restaurants, culture, biking, etc -- search "Jake and Stone Rochester" -- enjoy the golf!

Irondequoit, New...
Level Contributor
631 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: PGA Championship in August

Probably won't be able to get to Nazareth for parking for the tournament unless you have VIP tickets. Signs on the expressways are pushing everyone down I-590 for parking, the only thing I can think is they're going to do the bulk of the parking at Monroe Community College and have shuttles.

For anyone attending the event and reading this - this means plan on getting to the lot about 45 minutes before the time you want to actually be on the course.

PA
Level Contributor
374 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: PGA Championship in August

Totally odd question I realize, but any idea what way the shuttles will be taking to get to the course? We're set to park at the Monroe CCC and it looks like 590 to 490 would be a likely guess. Does anyone know if they're using school busses or something smaller like a rental car shuttle?

10. Re: PGA Championship in August

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:15 am, August 07, 2014