We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

Grenoble
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

I'm only going to be in Rochester during the week (last week of June), and would like to check out the Public Market. It seems that some - or many - vendors may not be open on Tuesday and/or Thursday. I've checked the Roc wiki site but can't find any explicit listing of what's actually open. Any advice from Rochestarians?

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

I've only ever been on a Saturday, but I would imagine you could still get a good number of things, especially during the summer months. It certainly will be a lot less crowded, so you'd be able to find parking pretty easily.

Rochester, New York
Destination Expert
for Rochester
Level Contributor
450 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

I don't think I've been there on a Tuesday but I have been there on a weekday. There were a fair number of vendors but mostly oriented toward the food service industry. Plenty of produce, in other words, items that local chefs might want to pick up for that day at the restaurant, but not so much consumer-oriented stuff. I don't recall if any of the prepared-food places, cafes, etc. were open.

Grenoble
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

Thanks very much Kat228 and YankeeDave for your info. I guess we'll give it a try. If it's a bust - are there other interesting things, within walking distance of the Public Market, to do with my 11-year old niece? She lives in the east townships - and when I come to visit I try to find things to do that she hasn't discovered yet in her "home town."

Melbourne, Florida
Level Contributor
5,806 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

I can't think of any place I would walk to from there, but the Village gate is about a minute or two with a car. I believe there are some art galleries there. Then you can have lunch at one of the restaurants.

ETA: Here's their website: http://www.villagegatesquare.com/

Edited: 9:42 am, June 22, 2010
Grenoble
Level Contributor
22 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

Village Gate sounds worth a visit - we've never been there, and it sounds interesting. Thank you for the suggestion!

6. Re: Rochester Public Market - worth a Tuesday visit?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, December 20, 2010