We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

Hi everyone,

I will be driving with my girlfriend from Buffalo to Poughkeepsie, (passing through or near Rochester, Syracuse, Utica, Albany). We wanted to stop for a night somewhere and see something or do something during the day before going onward.

Any suggestions?

Your help is much appreciated.

boredmonkeydan

Edited: 9:35 am, July 12, 2011
Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

You could do the drive on rt. 20. Far more scenic than I-90. You'll be hitting the top of the Finger Lakes and that would give you options to stop and do a couple of wine tastings (such as in Geneva - Ventosa, White Springs etc.) without getting too far south of Rt. 20. You could make a leisurely day of it staying further down the road - somewhere midway.

I love driving Rt. 20 and always prefer to take it over the Thruway. You will encounter small towns, some nice shops, diners and restaurants and probably some attractions as well. Check out the following:

http://nyroute20.net/

Syracuse, New York
Level Contributor
560 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

I noticed that many of the places listed under attractions are a bit of a drive from Rt. 20. So, check your map carefully.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

Thank you kayofcny, that's really helpful. I definitely want to see more scenic routes, route 20 looks great!

4. Re: Things to do/see driving Buffalo > Poughkeepsie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:19 am, October 05, 2012