We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jfk to poughkeepsie

Which Poughkeepsie hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nygirl89
3 posts
Save Topic
jfk to poughkeepsie

I have a relative coming in from florida and is looking for the best way to get from JFK Airport to Poughkeepsie. I am in Brooklyn and and have no clue. Can someone help?

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Will your relative have a car or be traveling by public transportation? If they need public transportation they can take a cab from JFK to grand central to take a Metro North train . The hudson line has a stop in Poughkeepsie. Amtrak also stops in Poughkeepsie with fewer trains it is a good idea to buy Amtrak tickets online and call to verify times. I can't tell you how many times they have canceled trains or trains have been late. Let me know if you need further info.

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Sorry I should have mentioned Amtrak to Poughkeepsie runs out of Pennn Station.

nygirl89
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Thanks for the info. They will be using public transportation. I think they were trying to avoid going to NYC but I don't think that is possible. I know years ago there were buses that went straight from the airport to Poughkeepsie. Do you know if they still exist?

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
297 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Short Line goes to Poughkeepsie. Check their website. They may have to first take a Gray Line bus to Port Authority.

Brewster, New York
Level Contributor
1,546 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Can they make their plans to fly into Stewart Airport in Newburgh, NY?? Stewart is only a few miles away from Poughkeepsie and they could easily catch a cab or rent a car there.

If not, then you could research airport shuttle vans that operate out of Putnam County, or Dutchess County. This way they could get onto a van/small bus and be driven to Poughkeepsie, avoiding NYC.

However, if they are relying on public transport, then I would agree with the previous posters......they have to get into NYC and either opt for Metro North/Hudson Line train to Poughkeepsie, or go to Penn Station and take Amtrak to Poughkeepsie. My vote is to go with Metro North/Hudson Line...cheaper...more reliable!!

NJ
Level Contributor
6,572 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Besides, Stewart Intl, they might want to consider, White Plains Westchester County Airport.

Both will placed them much closer to Poughkeepsie than JFK.

http://www.stewartintlairport.com/

http://whiteplainsairport.com

nygirl89
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

thanks so much for all the information, I think I am going to recommend that they take metro north. It does seem the best way. As far as changing airports I believe that the tickets are booked but it is good to know this for further trips. Thanks for everyone's help

Poughkeepsie, New...
Level Contributor
93 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

Unfortunately, the days of the old Dutchess County Transporter, a huge van that took people from the three metro-area airports, were over more than a decade ago. Now, you're limited to hiring a car, which can run about $200 one way. Otherwise, you're stuck getting a bus to Grand Central, then Metro North to Poughkeepsie (last stop on the Hudson Line). Minimally, trains run every hour -- more during rush hour.

9. Re: jfk to poughkeepsie

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, September 07, 2009