We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

Which Plattsburgh hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
70 reviews
Save Topic
Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

It does get a bit ridiculous at times. The fire crew was eventually allowed through, and they might not have been able to save the building if they had not been stopped, but such delays could be costly.

ctv.ca/servlet/…

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

The hotel was abandoned anyway. Only 1 truck was held up, and it was for 8 minutes.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

What do you mean "abandoned"? They were still desparately trying to save it at the time which is why they called the Canadians for help.

It was actually 10 minutes but the point is until now they were just waved through. That' the reality of crossing the border these days. We are so used to crossing freely but this highlights that EVERYONE needs photo I'D now!

Roswell, New Mexico
Level Contributor
718 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

Oooops. I had the wrong hotel. The abandoned one burned this summer.

However, the Anchorage had already been engulfed in flames for about an hour before the Canadians were summoned. As for 8 or 10 minutes, does it really matter. CTV says 'about 10' and the local NPT affiliate said 8.

I assume your post is a complaint about border procedures. It certainly doesn't have much to do with tourism.

Yes. everyone does need photo ID.

On the southern border, people have tried to use buses, ambulances, etc... to smuggle drugs, people, etc.. for years. I wouldn't be surprised if similar things have been pulled on the northern border. Lots of drugs and illegals are moved through that part of the NY/VT border. Face it, times have changed, . People who cross the border frequently just need to get passports.

Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero
Level Contributor
14,566 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

Yup that was my point, and since the incedent was local to Plattsburgh I posted it here.

For many years Canadians and Americans have been used to crossing the border with little or no formality. the fact that even emergency crews are being stopped really brings home that it's not that easy any more. Not a complaint, just an observation - lots of people get caught out every day.

5. Re: Canadian fire crew rushing to U.S. blaze stopped at border

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, September 14, 2009