We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Considering a move to Oneonta

Which Oneonta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Oneonta, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Considering a move to Oneonta

My husband and I are considering a move to Oneonta. We would greatly appreciate any feedback on living in the area. Thank you!

NewEngland
Level Contributor
1,025 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Why have you targeted Oneonta?

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Oneonta is a small city (around 15,000 people) located in Otsego County. There are two colleges there (SUNY Oneonta and Hartwick). It is in a relatively rural and very pretty section of the state; about 65 miles east of the Binghamton area (pop. 150,000) and about 80 miles west of the Capital District (Albany area - pop. 300,000), the largest nearby population bases. It is 30 minutes from Cooperstown (home of the baseball HOF) and is just outside the western edge of the Catskill Mountain region. The Susquehanna River flows nearby. I live in the Binghamton area and visit the Oneonta area a few times a year. If you don't mind the rural aspect of the surrounding area, it is a nice small city.

Delhi, New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

It would be good if you could say what you are looking for, specifically.

The city of Oneonta isn't bad, but the taxes are pretty outrageous. It's a college city and can be a bit crazy at times. Parts of the city are very nice to live in.

Oneonta has a population of about 14,000, which goes up some when the two colleges are in session. The summers are quite crowded with all the area tourism (baseball camps, Cooperstown etc.), but it's a beautiful area all year. The rolling mountains are nice and there's a heap to do, especially if you are into the outdoors.

The town and surrounding towns are cheaper and quite nice to live in.

You aren't far from major areas (such as Albany) and smaller cities (such as Binghamton).

Binghamton, however, does not have 150,000 people. If you include Johnson City and Vestal, it's about 100,000 as the Triple Cities. According to the 2000 census, the whole county of Broome had about 196,000 people. Binghamton was at about 46,000, Johnson City 15,000+ and Vestal about 26,000. What's nice is it's spread out a bit and there's a lot to do in that area.

Albany is at just shy of 100,000 people and if you include the Capital District, you are looking at about 200,000 people, which is a decent size for central New York.

Albany is about an hour away, Binghamton less.

Syracuse is, give or take and pending travel route, anywhere from 1:30- 2 hours.

If you have some specific wonders about Oneonta and the area, please post and I'll help the best I can.

Vestal, New York
Destination Expert
for Auburn, Finger Lakes
Level Contributor
6,853 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Softball29 -

Re. the Greater Binghamton population - it is between 150,000 and 170.000. You didn't factor in the adjacent towns (such as Union - pop. 56,000) and Endicott (13,000). I live in Greater Binghamton so that's why I feel compelled to respond to your post.

By the way, I think the area around Delhi is beautiful and Delhi is a nice little town.

Oneonta, New York
Level Contributor
8 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Thanks to all who posted. I was looking for general feedback. As it turns out, we DID move to Oneonta and we are enjoying the town thus far. We find the countryside very beautiful and are looking forward to taking in the Fall colors in this part of the country!

Delhi, New York
Level Contributor
212 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Glad to hear that everything went well with the move. The fall colors, as I'm sure you've seen, have arrived a bit early this year. They have, however, been excellent! The reds, especially.

Cooperstown, New...
9 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

Oneonta is a great little city! It houses 2 colleges; Hartwick and Suny Oneonta. There are many wonderful amenities such as beautiful public parks, great shopping and eateries, good schools, all packaged into a warm friendly environment. If you are looking for short term / long term accommodations, let me know!

8. Re: Considering a move to Oneonta

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, April 28, 2010