We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

the old mill is over rated

Which Old Forge hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
the old mill is over rated

nice looking place, but if old forge had aliitle more restuarants in town with alittle better decor and the same if not better food with better prices and better kids meals and more choices, they would get a run for their money.I am a culinary graduated it was nice but nothing to knock your socks about.If you are not restaurant savy you would be impressed but sorry not me.

Lower Central New...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: the old mill is over rated

I have visited Old Forge several times and find the food and atmosphere to be outstanding. Remember, this restaurant is in the middle of the Adirondack mountains. It has wonderful ambience and great service. As for restaurants with better prices and kids meals, there are several on the Old Forge strip including Walt's Diner, and for the culinary graduate, McDonald's. Perhaps proofreading would help your post hold true, but sorry, not for me.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: the old mill is over rated

Well sorry I hit a nerve, but about the kids meals they offer them in the old mill but they did not please me the way they offered them.To insult me shows I hit a nerve.To insult me about mcdonalds shows me that , all I am saying, I have had better and for old forge it may be ok! but for me I do not care if they are in the mountains it was not top rated to me period.And if your good it does not matter where you are!And the service was terrible.The place looks nice.sorry I made you mad!IAnd I do not care if I had mistakes in my typing I am a busy person and just wanted to give my opinion on the old mill .

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: the old mill is over rated

also look in the dining section for my full review and yes I like mcdonalds but I know fine dining also and I am not a frugal person.

4. Re: the old mill is over rated

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline with regards to harassment of another user. We will remove messages that include personal attacks or hostility directed at an individual user or group of users, threatening language or attempts to force a user to discontinue participation on our forums.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:50 pm, October 02, 2006
Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: the old mill is over rated

You know what they say when you assume! I am a lady and I think you got something more to do with the old mill then meets the eye. good day and I am very educated sorry for not using spell check.

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: the old mill is over rated

I think your review about not having children go to the old mill and take them to mcdonalds or burger king, is very rude and I think your answer is worthless, and you must be a part owner or something to react the way you !

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: the old mill is over rated

You need spell check also because you spelled service wrong, in your dining review, .so do not critizise and look in your own back yard.I think we got off the subject of the old mill and I am not gonna battle a person who has a issue- like a person who has had a different review than others.Sorry I do not agree with you, but I did not have a good experience there and that is my review and I stand by it.good luck to you! insulting people like calling a person sir when I am a mother of 6 children and insulting kids now you went too far, sir or miss,what ever you are you are not being very professional.

Upstate, New York
Level Contributor
267 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: the old mill is over rated

Ok, I have to give my 2 cents here. I haven't eaten there is a couple of years, but I remember it being a decent meal. Not five star by any means, but a very nice atmosphere and very charming place. My husband and I were there a couple of weeks ago and while we were shopping, we decided to skip lunch and just do an early dinner (we remembered it being difficult to get into the old mill on a Saturday evening). DIFFICULT is an understatment! We went there at 5pm, and was told the wait would be "1 1/2 hours or if we wanted to come back after 8pm, it would be better". We were staying in a motel just next door, yet they would not take a reservation or even put our name on their list unless we sat there and waited! We left, but decided we could wait and eat at 8pm. At 8pm I called from the motel, "still 1 1/2 hour wait"! Again at 8:45, it was still a 1 hour wait! We gave up. Had to eat somewhere, so we jumped in the car and drove to a rest. we had seen about 15 miles out of town. Really, it's quite unfortunate that people travel to Old Forge and then can't even get to eat at a decent place. We've been coming there for many years in all different seasons. But I'm sad to say that this trip I think was our last. Time to find a new little town to hide in. This has just gotten way too crowded!

Queens, New York
Level Contributor
6,176 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: the old mill is over rated

well it is nice to have another opinion, on here.I think that if there was more of a choice the old mill would be alittle less desirable.Nice decor but ,not for me.

adirondacks
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: the old mill is over rated

I have never had a bad meal at the old mill. I like bringing the kids because of the fun, family atmosphere. I also like the cozy booths for a quiet dinner with my husband. The food may not be hugely creative, but as far as steak and seafood goes, you can't get anything better in Old Forge, and I have eaten at every restaurant there is for miles around. I imagine the prices have to do with the cost of shipping fresh food into the middle of nowhere. That, and the huge portions they give you. If you are cheap or on a tight budget, don't eat there. The servers are very friendly, experienced, and work really hard to accomodate and make you feel at home. They have been in business for over 30 years, and if you have to wait for a table, that's probably a good sign. Relax in their gorgeous bar or deck overlooking the river and chill out. You are on vacation after all- what's the hurry?

Get answers to your questions about Old Forge
Recent Conversations