We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with itinerary

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Help with itinerary

Hi

Im planning on spending 5 nights in Santorini. The plan is to book a hotel in Imerovigli. Here is my itinerary so far:

Day 1: Reach Imerovigli at noon & just spend the rest of the day there exploring.

Day 2: take the bus to Fira for some shopping then do the hike from there to Oai & head over to Byzantine Castle Ruins for the famous sunset.

Day 3: Back to Oia for Amoudi Bay.

Day 4 & 5: not sure yet.

Any suggestions on what else to do or even changing the order are welcome.

I purposely left museums out as Im more interested in the sceneries. Are there any nice neighborhoods or any hidden gems?

Thanks

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
13,966 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with itinerary

Depending on what time of the year you're on the island, I'd still explore Imerovigli on your arrival day, but considering the village isn't that large, I'd combine it with a walk down to Fira (it's downhill) to look around and do your shopping then.* Many of the shops are open late into the evening. Take a return bus back to Imerovigli.

Otherwise, you could go to Pyrgos, explore up the top of the citadel and enjoy the quiet serenity of the village. View the sunset from Franco's Bar perhaps?

That means you don't have have packages to carry on your caldera hike. Also, there's no need to go from Imerovigli to Fira and then backtrack through Imerovigli which is on the caldera hike route.

For day 2, you could kill two birds with one stone, although it would be a long one.

Start the day with the caldera hike. Conventional wisdom says to begin early before the heat of the day hits - it takes about 3-4 hours. Have sturdy shoes and plenty of water. As well as lots of space on memory cards and fully charged batteries for your camera.

Spend time looking around Oia and then walk down to Ammoudi Bay. Walk a couple of hundred meters further on and you'll find the best swimming hole on the island. There's a concrete platform for sunbathing and the water is crystal clear. You can swim around the little island in about 5-10 minutes.

Once you've had a swim, and if you're hungry, eat at one of the waterside tavernas back at Ammoudi. Then make your way back up to the castle and find your viewing spot for sundown.

As stated, Pyrgos is well worth a look as are the ruins on top of Ancient Thera. Are you interested in visiting any of the volcanic beaches? Are you a foodie or just like grabbing eats on the go?

I'd avoid Red Beach as there's been rock slides there and I haven't heard if its been given the all clear yet.

I know you said you'd discounted museums, but I still think its worth looking at the Prehistoric Museum of Fira. It's easily accessible, air-conditioned and only costs €3. Closed on a Monday (as are many, but not all, museums on the island, including Ancient Thera).

There's an open-air cinema just outside Kamari which operates during the summer months. If this interests you, let us know and we can give information.

Will you be using the bus system or hiring a car? As this may impact on suggestions depending how far off the beaten path they are.

There are plenty of boat trips, of varying lengths and prices if you're interested. Alternatively, you can visit Thirassia independently should you wish.

* Depending on how you're affected by jet lag. Apologies if I've underestimated how you'll be feeling. I'm lucky that I usually don't suffer, even when I'm flying long distances, so I have been known to discount how others react to it.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with itinerary

Thank you kennydon for the detailed reply.

I will follow your suggestions for the first & second day as it seems to make the most sense, and I will also check out the Prehistoric Museum of Fira on day 3. However that still leaves me with 2 more days & I can't figure out what to do. I'm starting to think 5 days is perhaps too long?!

I am planning on being there around April. I'm not much of a foodie so if you know any places on the go please let me know.

Santorini, Greece
Level Contributor
1,740 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with itinerary

Hi

Excellent suggestions by Kennydon. If you need more, read my Santorini Trip Ideas here tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i36651-Santorin…

Ingela

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with itinerary

"Kennydon" what a fantastic review on Santorini.......I have saved it to my trips as I am visiting there Aug 13.

5. Re: Help with itinerary

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, December 15, 2014