We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Topic
Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

Hi guys,

After just coming back from a couple of weeks of travellng round Santorini, I wanted write a review of this place but can't seem them listed - maybe through fear of reviews like mine!!!

Top of my list was Select Cafe, in Fira, as you walk into the heart of the shopping streets, it has the donkey trail to the right of the entrance.

It looks quite a nice place, has fantastic view and large terrace but that is where the good part ends.

My other half and I sat for a late lunch in the glorious sunshine.

It wasn't overly busy yet we had to wait very long to be served, when the waiter finally got to us, he asked what we wanted, told my OH he was too late in day to order the omlette (11 euro) and that my choice of a tuna salad (10 euro) was not fresh enough and i must order something else.

This was done without any humour and was very pushy, so my OH just ordered the mousakka (13 euro), when i kept to my order of salad he got very annoyed and put the menu back in front of me, telling me to order the calamari salad (14 euro) and the swordfish main dish (26 euro).

I stuck to my guns and kept to my salad but he got very moody and told me it was my mistake and it wasn't fresh food - if that is the case then why have it on the menu?

I don't like to be bullied or told what i can eat, it was just outright rude! I wouldn't of minded so much if he had done it half jokingly but you could tell he was serious.

He continued to sulk as he served us, slammed plates around and was generally off. Staring at me as we ate - it was very uncomfortable.

When it was time to pay he was very quick to take our money but we had to physically go after him to get our change after 15/20min waiting, while he chatted to his other staff.

He tried to say he didn't have the money (15 euro) but his colleague told him to get it from the till, he miraculously found enough in his pockets... The only tip I have for him is change your attitude and for you guys to avoid him.

We heard other people complaining about their food and the slow service which seemed to fall on deaf ears. Just another example of how places try to skate by on tourist trade and the views, with over priced food and under price value of their customers.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
7 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

That's unfortunate. We came back from Santorini a couple of weeks back and had excellent service elsewhere. There have been times with funky service but otherwise excellent experiences. Hope you got to enjoy the rest of your trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

Yes as from my actual reviews you can see i loved the island and am already planning to go back BUT felt I needed to pre warn others of this one place and its terrible service, when there are so many other options in the area

thanks

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,111 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

I've only been in Cafe Select one time and I paid over €10 for a very ordinary tuna baguette, that when it came, was sitting in a puddle of water from a not very well dried plate, making the bottom half of the roll very soggy and inedible.

I also got a couple of nasty looks from the waiting staff because I was sitting at a table that could normally seat 4, but as it was the only one available at the time, I had no other option.

I'd never go back there - there are much nicer places to get ripped off in Fira :-))

Martin

Australia
Level Contributor
383 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

Thanks for the warning QueenB Going to Santorini in a few days.

London, United...
Level Contributor
53 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

On anicer note - Diverso cafe in the main street of Fira, is great! HAs free Wi- Fi (internet cafe upstairs if youneed it) and full of locals.

Its agreat bar at night too - very buzzy.

Service is really good - very sweet eastern european girl served us eachtime and remebered us straight away.

The ice coffee's here are to die for, I kept having the mocha iced latte with a swirl of coconut in it - like drinking a cold bounty bar with hit of expresso haha

The fruit ice drinks were great too - the strawberry one was my OH's fave.

The waffles and ice cream looked good but I didn't get the chanceto indulge ; )

Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

Just back from Santorini and wish I had read your review. We walked in to Select Cafe to get some lunch, we walked past a bunch of staff who totally ignored us. We were looking around for a table when this short dark haired older guy storms over and very rudely says "YES". I was so shocked and horrified that I said to my hubby, lets go this guy is horrible. The dude then says "you just come in to use the toilet yes". I just laughed at this point, we came in to get some lunch and enjoy the view! It really is a shame that on such a beautiful island there are horrible little men like this. There are some beautiful places to eat in Fira, great service, product and hospitality, Select Cafe so far off the mark, dont go.

7. Re: Select Cafe - Place to avoid in Fira

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, July 22, 2013