We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
121 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I have read all of the posts and information on the boards. Everyone is super helpful so thank you!!! Here is my dilemna: We are departing Mykonos to go to Santorini on Sunday May 13th. Olympic Air costs est. $389 eu (2 people) but it leaves at a good time and gets to Thira the earliest of all the options. The least amount of travel time wasted in the day. From what I understand it is also the most reliable.

Taking the SeaJet2 to Paros and then BlueStar to Thira is MUCH cheaper at $150.00 eu (2 people) and more adventurous and scenic, but it does get to Thira 2 hours later than the air option at 3:30PM. I also understand that SeaJets do have cancellations and might not be 100% reliable. Hellenic's schedule does not fit with BlueStar's for that day and is too late.

Who thinks it is best to just spend the $230.00 extra on air and not worry about the risk of ferry cancellations? Am I being overly concerned about that risk? Would hate to have a cancellation and then have to shuffle hotels around and lose more money to make it all happen. Seems like there is really only time to make one choice for that day and if something goes wrong, then that travel day is over.

Help!!!

Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

We travelled from Mykonos to Santorini last year, using the Flying Cat 3 to Naxos and then the Blue Star Naxos to Santorini, also arriving at 15:30. I know that this route is not available this year, but I need to mention that approaching Santorini and entering the caldera on a larger ferry (like one of the Blue Stars), where you can stand outside on the deck, must be one of the most magnificent sights in the world! It gives one a complete perspective of the magnitude of the cliffs and the engineering feats which have allowed all the hotels and buildings to be perched on the edge of the caldera. We flew out of Santorini, and you do not get the same views from the plane.

I would strongly recommend that anyone visiting Santorini for the first time approaches the island on the deck of a ferry. You will not be disappointed. We regarded this as part of our "sightseeing" for the day, and still had plenty of time that evening to enjoy Santorini as the sun was only setting at about 21:30 in early July and will probably be setting at about 20:30 in mid May.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I am going to Greece on the 24th of April. I understand that cancellations are rare in April and the Ferry option makes more sense.

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

12kris,

You are posting in a one year old topic. Are you asking for something ?

Please repost in the ordinary forum and use the "Ask a question" tab.

Bengaluru, India
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Thanks Greek traveller. Well, mine was a question to start with, but after making a few enquiries, I made my decision. I may still be wrong and would appreciate inputs.

Thanks again!

Kamala, Thailand
Level Contributor
581 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

I'd love to know what the original poster did in the end... It's a shame there's not more feedback on questions like this!

Oslo, Norway
Destination Expert
for Oslo, Naxos, Norway
Level Contributor
22,123 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

You may try to send a pm to the original poster. However, many posters are just concerned with their own original message and outcome, and don't return - thus it is better to post a request on your own rather than hanging on to old posts.

Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
7,553 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

Hi 12kris,

What was your decision? I agree, though, it would be better to start your own thread, making it clear what you are asking. ;-)

Edited: 6:02 am, March 26, 2013
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,992 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

So if I am right there is no direct ferry from Mykanos to santorinni?/ I am a bit confused.. I would like to do this in Sept.. Thanks

Essex
Level Contributor
1,095 posts
Save Reply
19. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

There are direct catamarans (2 or 3 a day) but these don't have outside decks so you do not get the spectacular views when approaching Santorini, and they can be unpleasant if sea conditions are rough.

20. Re: Air or ferry from Mykonos to Santorini? Need final decision!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:19 am, May 05, 2014