We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Gps work?

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Car Gps work?

Will my car GPS work in Fira and Oia? Thanks for any help.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,371 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Gps work?

It's doubtful. What streets there are in Oia don't have names, there are mostly footpaths anyway. It might work in Fira but once you're there I suspect you'll figure out what you need to know quickly.

If you want specific directions from one place to another maybe I can help.

Edited: 11:49 pm, August 25, 2011
United Kingdom
Level Contributor
1,319 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Gps work?

Your GPS will work and give you a coordination fix, the question is, what maps do you have loaded. search Oia and Fira on your GPS and you will see if any maps are there, and how comprehensive they are. If you have the maps the GPS will work. But I would expect the mapping (if there is any) to be VERY limited around Oia.

Edited: 3:42 am, August 26, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
88,067 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Gps work?

For getting from one location to another, there really is no need for a GPS. You will probably get a map of the island with your rental car, and that should be enough to navigate the limited number of roads.

But basically, you cannot drive in the towns of Oia and Fira: the "streets" are footpaths, often with steps.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,110 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Gps work?

Bear in mind that Santorini is not much bigger than one of your larger North American shopping malls - you really don't need GPS at all.

Martin

Gulf Breeze, FL
Level Contributor
76 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Gps work?

Thanks for all the tips. I probably will bring the GPS, just in case

we need help. I look foward to our visit in a couple of weeks!

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Gps work?

I am a great fan of GPS but really can't see the point of taking one to Santorini, its simply not large enough. And I'd be sceptical that the maps were detailed enough to be worthwhile.

Have you had a look on your GPS to see what level of maps there are? There really arent many choices to get from one place to another, in some cases, there are none !

Lindesnes...
Destination Expert
for Southern Norway, Cyclades
Level Contributor
4,702 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Gps work?

Dont know about Santorini, but I had great plessure of my GPS on Naxos. Even small sandy dirt-roads were marked on the map. Without the map of my GPS I sometimes would have turned around, believing the "path" didn't lead anywhere. It also helped me with finding through all the one-way-drives around Naxos town.

UK
Level Contributor
49,560 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Gps work?

I might as well say that I find GPS very usable around the UK. Its not comparable. And Naxos is not comparable with Santorini. Its much bigger than Santorini and, I can hardy recall any unmarked tracks on Santorini (and those likely lead to a cliff edge, there's not a whole lot of free land, large swathes of what there is for example is all very steep unusable scrub and hillside with no habitation at all and you *really* wouldn't want to be encouraged to be taking random paths on that. Nor would you need to as they wont be going anywhere.

Plus, most ?all? the towns and villages on Naxos, from what I recall, are drivable, unlike Santorini, eg a car GPS wont get you far in Oia. And you can drive through Fira in 10 minutes, traffic permitting, no GPS needed, there just arent that many roads.

Anyway, as I said, the OP should look at the maps they have and decide. It may be they will get use out of it elsewhere in Greece, OTOH if its just for Santorini, they are unlikely to use it much if at all, and its one less bit of equipment to carry around.

9. Re: Car Gps work?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:18 am, October 16, 2012