We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Which Fira hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
75 reviews
Save Topic
Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Hello Brotherleelov,

Thank you for all your kind help on other topics! I'd like more information on ferries from Mykonos to Santorini because I'm a little confused.

I am looking at Hellenic Seaways and so far there is only one ferry from Mykonos at 14:55 into Santorini at 17:35 (flying cat) that I am able to book. Is that an enclosed ferry or open air?

Also, you mentioned a 10:00 morning ferry to Paros then catching another from Paros to Santorini. Could you elaborate on that? What is the name of the ferry lines, etc? How long is the stopover in Paros?

How would I be able to book that?

Should I book early? Do the ferries get filled up?

Any other ferry information would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you so very much for all you wonderful help!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

It's enclosed. You can see photos here: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd

SeaJets operates that morning ferry to Paros, and Blue Star operates the ferry that stops at Noon on the way to Santorini. The SeaJets ferry is very similar in size and design to the Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat4. The Blue Star ferry is a large conventional car ferry with an open deck.

simplonpc.co.uk/Strintzis/Sea_Jet_1_01BF.jpg

attica-group.com/images/blue_star_naxos.jpg

The stopover in Paros is about an hour. You can book all these ferries once you're on Mykonos, but if you're travelling in July or August you should probably book in advance for the FlyingCat and the SeaJet. Their capacity is a lot smaller than the Blue Star. Use http://www.danae.gr and opt to pick up your tickets at the Mykonos ticket offices or at Amphitrion Holidays in the Arrivals Hall of the Athens Airport when you first arrive.

Ferry schedules here: http://www.gtp.gr

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Thank you!

If I use Danae Travel, can I definitely pick up the tickets at Amphitrion Holidays in Athens Airport?

Also, please let me know if I'm correct with the following timing:

With Hellenic Seaways the entire Mykonos-Santorini trip is 2hrs and 45 min.

If I use Sea Jet 2 and then the Blue Star, just the Blue Star portion of the trip is 3hrs and 20min, making a total of travel time 5hrs30min. Is this a much slower boat?

Are there any direct non-stop ferries?

Once again, thank you for your help!

Linfer

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Yes. Amphitrion is in the Arrivals hall between Doors 2&3 and they're open 24/7.

The Blue Star ferry takes 3 hours from Paros to Santorini. Yes, it's slower than a highspeed ferry and yes, you'll have an hour in Paros waiting for it (sit out and have a coffee across the street). But because you're leaving Mykonos at 10 am you'll actually arrive at Santorini a couple of hours before you would if you were to take the FC4 later in the day. By choosing to take the morning alternate route you will also have the unique first-time pleasure of entering the caldera on the deck of an open ship, which is a much more exciting and spectacular experience than if you were to enter for the first time looking through the semi-obscured salt-sprayed window of the FC4.

One thing to keep in mind is your travel date. You haven't mentioned it. The FC4 has a couple of "No sailing" dates every month, always on Wednesdays, so be sure if that's the ferry you choose that it's actually available when you need it.

There is no direct non-stop ferry between Mykonos and Santorini.

Edited: 5:01 pm, May 01, 2011
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

More about the danae.gr website: during their booking process you will be given options for ticket delivery/pickup. The one for the airport is Amphitrion.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Once again, thank you so much! I'm crystal clear on the ferry situation now thanks to you! I really appreciate it!

Have a great day!

Linfer

Dubai, United Arab...
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Hey guys,

Just want to join in on the above if I may. :)

I'm heading to The islands in July too.

Looking at Either flying or ferrying from Athens to myk on sun 17...

On wed 20th ferry from myk to santorini...

Mon 25 fly back to Athens.

A few questions-

- I looked on the Hellenic site and it showed an operating ferry on wed 20th from myk to sant... Will that stand or could it be cancelled at the last minute?

- From MYK... Delos or ios I was told is worth a day trip. Thoughts?

Basically I have a wedding in santorini on sat 23 and a stag do on thurs 21... Looking to fill in some blanks. :)

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ben

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
21,656 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

It's unlikely that the HS ferry will be cancelled although unpredictable mishaps do occur. You will have an alternative route through Paros, first by SeaJets ferry at 10am and from Paros to Santorini at Noon on the Blue Star car ferry.

If Ancient Greece and Mythology interest you yes, Delos is worth your time.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

About picking up the tickets...when I arrive in Athens, I'll be taking another flight to Mykonos. Do they let us out into the Arrivals Hall between flights? Probably...but if not, where in Mykonos is the ticket office and what option on the danae website for pick up? Thanks again!

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
12,210 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

linfer

I think people have made it overly complex for you.

It is simple.

You book directly with ferry company concerned Hellenic Seaways, take your reservation along to the ticket agency in Mykonos and get your paper tickets, that's it.

The ticket agency concerned is on Mykonos harbourside, it's listed on the Hellenic Seaways website, but it's easy to find, you'll probably pass by every day.

If it 's Seajets, same thing, in fact the agency on Mykonos is almost next door.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
108 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ferries Mykonos to Santorini

Thanks!! Good to know that it is easier that I think! I really appreciate all the help! Can't wait to get there!