We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help choosing hotel

ny
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
Need help choosing hotel

We are coming to santorini in the end of July . We usually stay in five star luxury hotels but they seem to be coming in at 700 usd. We would like to stay somewhere for about 400usd. We would also like a view. Thanks

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Need help choosing hotel

Naxos. 2 hours away on Blue Star ferry. Look at these pix: travel.webshots.com/slideshow/552001505EYxVYT

In Sept will still have "buzz" but not over-touristy because has no cruise ships, a tiny airport, few "package holiday" travelers. Very different from Santorini (& much more authentic). Stay at Ag. Giorgios beach (St. George) because it's adjacent to Naxos Town, a 10-minute stroll in, to the cafes, shops etc. Finest beaches in the Cyclades ... a 15 mile stretch. I like to stay Ag. Giorgios, bus out to Plaka beach... far end is even clothing-optional (tho not for me!). In Ag. G, try Asteria for budget place w balconies directly on the sand, upscale, look at Naxos Resort Beach hotel, back from beach about 50 meters, pool, & well landscaped.

Naxos, IMO, has much more to do/see than Santorini (frankly after one stares at the caldera for a day or so, one wonders what now?). If you rent a car for a day or 2 in Naxos (at 1/2 cost of Santo), you can go 20 minutes inland and ... farms! donkeys! sheep! There are mountain villages, marble quarries, stunning views of valleys and sea ... hilltop temple ruins, broken statues in an orchard, hidden-way chapels, Byzantine towers. In town -- the BEST tiny museum in the Cyclades (all those marble idols), a winding maze of agora that goes up to tippy-top Kastro. NOTE: in couryard of Venetian mansion up there, weekly concerts or folk-dance. Standing on Grotta bluff, u can see under-water foundation of 3,000 BC settlement. In front of Cathedral, glass pavement reveals a dig for a Mycenaean graveyard 1500 BC (!). Oh, I almost forgot, a taverna dinner in Naxos with hearty plateful of local meat & produce & some good local wine = about €14.

When you experience Naxos, you will say Why in heaven's name dont the agencies promote this place??? Because Cruise ships can't go there, no airport big enough for biggie jets. the hotels don't charge enough to yield big commissions, there's no super-luxe fantasy accommodation. I'm only telling you this if you promise not to go back to NYC and tell everybody (I am an ex-manhattanite, 30+ years there, but I don't want NYC to invade naxos) :o) ...

12. Re: Need help choosing hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 1:11 pm, April 11, 2011
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Need help choosing hotel

Jan,

Maybe you should have put all of that in a PM - Naxos sounds idyllic, no cruse ships, no hordes of invading tourists all wanting the 'best' views, 'best' restaurants, trying to cram a weeks worth of activites into 5 hours ashore, etc. No Brits either, I don't think the package companies disgorge us on Naxos' beaches.

Now after reading that , everyone on the North American continent is going to want to go to Naxos.

Still, it'll make Santorini a lot quieter :-))

I might break the habit of a lifetime and look into going there in 2012.

Martin

Edited: 1:15 pm, April 11, 2011
Philadelphia
Level Contributor
6,120 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Need help choosing hotel

Wow somebody must have really disliked my message. It was not intended to "diss" Santorini, -- the Caldera is an absolute must-see for first-timers to Greece, and I have been there, what, 5 times? and am going back with 4 newbies in late May -- I simply wanted to point out the great range of activities and sights in Naxos; I have been there 10 times now, yet each time discover new things.

If people think I am a "Johnny one-note" I would add i do not limit myself to Naxos, I usually stay there only 4-5 days, always visit or re-visit at least 3 other islands on each extended trip, including a minimum of one NEW island each time; have now had a meaningful stay on over 20 islands, and consider that I know at least half of them quite well. But there are dozens left I haven't touched yet. As Winston Churchill said in his 70s: "How MUCH yet to do! How little time!!" (Tho his remark was in response to the accusatory estimate that he had drunk half a roomful of brandy in his lifetime).

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
5,907 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Need help choosing hotel

Jan, that deleted post was mine. I had a bit of a brain scramble while I was writing it and the ridiculously short edit time ran out before I could make it comprehensible so I deleted it and re-posted.

Don't worry, I don't think you dissed Santorini - I can do that pretty well myself :-))

What you HAVE done is got me thinking about going to Naxos next year, expect a barrage of first-time visitor posts from me!

Martin

gloucester
Level Contributor
20 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Need help choosing hotel

We stayed in Imergovigli for a week this May. It really ticked all the boxes. Only 20 minutes walk to Fira. We stayed in Kasimatis studios which I couldn't fault. The top reason for staying here was because it's the highest point on the island. It's on the main bus route to Fira & Oia. It's relatively quiet. We spent time in Oia & Thira but were pleased we'd picked the nest spot. Where would I stay if I went back? Imergovigli!!Please email me if you'd like to see photos, our room was fabulous & it was THE most romantic break I've ever been on :)

Basingstoke, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Need help choosing hotel

My wife and I stayed at Aria Lito Mansion hotel in Fira town. It's near to the cable car too. We thought it was really nice though no sunset view. The place was quiet and cool. It doesn't look like a hotel, more like a little space of our own. Outdoor breakfast and you can even choose to have breakfast in the room.

The room itself was quite standard and clean. The thing that makes the difference was the staffs. They were very helpful and all smiles.

18. Re: Need help choosing hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 7:18 am, October 26, 2012