We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Topic
if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

since i read online that santorini has good bus system, i was planning on using it to save money and getting a hotel 3 night fira, 2 night oia, and 2 night by airport, wondering how easy it is to find places, i have never been to greece. And online the street names for hotels sometimes, reads "main street, or off main street." Could a foreigner be able to find it taking and usinig public transportation. Also i read that driving is not easy since the roads are narrow and too many people on moped.

Edited: 11:38 am, March 23, 2011
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

Finding hotels can be challenging if you're not familiar with the villages. Some are easier to find than others. I can help you with hotels in Oia using this map for reference once you've chosen: santorini-hotels.info/santorini-island-santo…

As far as I know there's no map of the area near the airport.

The bus system is good, but buses to the airport are infrequent and you might have to take a taxi instead.

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
14,463 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

I'll post this here and you can ask for your other duplicate post to be removed.

It would depend on each hotel individually from what I've seen. Some are, some aren't.

I really wouldn't suggest changing hotels again to be nearer to the airport. Its only takes about 15 minutes in a taxi from Fira. If you are moving between hotels, it can take up to half a day transferring, waiting for your room to be ready, unpacking, etc. (says the person who was in five different villages last year!). However, I was traveling solo and kept the luggage light (and with wheels - always a bonus on Santorini).

The bus system is pretty good and easy to use. Once you've got the names of the hotels you're interested in, let us know and we can advise how easy they are to locate by yourself.

My taxi from the airport to Fira last year cost €12 - to give you an example.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

Are there any hotels near the airport anyway? It's not exactly Heathrow or JFK is it! You be better off staying in either Oia or Fira and just getting a taxi down, it's only 15 or 20 minues from Fira.

Martin

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

ty for your responses, airport hotel is out of the plan then. i did post a more detailed plan for the trip to santorini titled 1 wk in santorini.

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,106 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

I just read it - I'm exhausted, you'll never do that much in just 1 week, please reconisder and prioritise what it is you REALLY want to do. I appreciate that you're coming a long way, and it may be the only chance you get, but your planned itinerary is just not do-able in 1 week.

Martin

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,280 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

i really want to see santorini, however, the other option was flying to athens and doing a island hopping tour.

for someone who knows the area what would u recommend a one time visitor to greece? one island for 7 days, or island hop from athens.

who do i ask for duplicate post to be removed?

Edited: 6:15 pm, March 23, 2011
Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,351 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

Island hop from Athens to your island of choice and spend the rest of your time there.

To remove a posting, clik on "Report inapproprate content" at the bottom of the posting and select "Remove My Post" from the dropdown menu.

8. Re: if using the bus, is it easy to find the hotels?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, October 28, 2012