We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

OK, if you want to pay 11.5 Euro for 0.4L glass of Murphys and a diet coke, this is the place for you! That's about £9.40! So that's under a pint of Murphys, plus a full glass of ice with a splash of coke! Was in there on Sunday for the football. Cheapest beer was Amstel 0.33L bottle at 4 Euro. Surly and uninterested bar staff. At one point the barmaid screamed 'is everybody happy?'. Happy? You must be about to retire on the proceeds of this afternoon, I'm contemplating getting a second job to pay for the next round! 'Beer nuts' 3 Euros. Is this for real! In an expensive town, this place takes the biscuit. Go a few steps down to The Highlander Bar, cheaper all round, friendly staff, spent the evening in there, different class. Amstel at 3 Euro, 2 for 1 cocktails, staggered back to hotel! Murphys Bar - the most expensive drink I have bought this side of St Marks Square in Venice. They do not deserve your business!!

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I have to say i allways dont like in the forums reports negative or positive for a specific hotel or business...but i have to admit that Murhys bar is overpriced and a rip off....nobdoy on the other hand keeps you inside...there is an extended pricelist and you can go away looking this prices....so no need for warnings!!!

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I have to say I don't like being the victim of profiteering! I have an expectation of what a couple of drinks might have cost me, £9.40 sterling is not it! What are they serving there, liquid gold! American guys next to us were complaining about the price of Chimay beer, saying it was half the price somewhere else. Yes, we voted with our feet and left.

I am happy to praise other establishments we visited, I mentioned Highlander bar, also Lithos, Elia Olive Tree, Soctares, Katina, to name but four. Surely one of the main functions of a forum like this is to make others aware of not only the places that you have enjoyed and received good service, but also to shed light on other establishments, whose standards may not be so praise-worthy, shall we say?

Isle of Thanet
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I've often wondered why someone would go to an irish bar in Greece when theres plenty of Greek bars/taverners around.

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I often wonder why people bother putting sarcastic comments on web fora.

You go there when the appear to be the only place in town showing the finale of the English football season. Anymore questions that I can help you with?

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

No..

the forums are to advice,critis are for the reviews....

again....Irish bar in Greece....there are some really good...some bad.....

but if there is not ability about the fact we travel for the difference ....while i hated also this place,i must admit that pricelist is available....and nobody keeps you inside if you dont want to stay...

i would prefer a trip report...than just a beware...just...like there is a minor on your way...

Rockville
Level Contributor
75 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

Ho hum, so on that basis, everyone who says 'go here because I had a nice egg & chips' belongs on the back page of The Sunday Times with Michael Winner, not on this forum.

Murphys Bar, Fira. You decide. I hearby 'let it go'.

Isle of Thanet
Level Contributor
100 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I didn't ask a question. I made a statement.

Athens, Greece
Level Contributor
8,945 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

I prefer haealthy and spoted critissim in a variety of things regading a destination..than mizery no reason forum posting..mpla mpla mpla...

this post is similar to advertisement on a different side....

i repeat there are also the reviews....now also for restaurants and bars

!

Is like a reveng...in a place you could leave without pay...

Ca.
1 post
Save Reply
9. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

Stop fighting children!

Devizes, United...
Level Contributor
40,216 posts
340 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beware - Murphys Bar, Fira

Goodness me, why on earth sign up for Trip Advisor just to place an initial post/comment like the one above??

These posters are simply airing their views and opinions and I can see both sides of the discussion here. Yes - the prices are extortionate and I would have to be a VERY KEEN football fan to willingly sit in a bar for 90 minutes and pay those rip off prices for beer and coke. But he decided to do it and has posted a "beware" for any future visitors.

Gas has rightly pointed out that no-one forced him to sit there and as such, people will be able to make their own minds up in future.