We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

7 posts
What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

I am planning a trip to Santorini on the 8 Dec leaving on the 11 Dec. I am flying directly from Athens to Thira, but thought on the return trip to try the ferry so to soak in more sights. Is it worth the ride? The ferry ride is like 8 to 12 hours while the flight is just 1hour. Please advise.

4 replies to this topic
Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
1,414 posts
15 reviews
1. Re: What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

Once you've left Santorini there is very little to see unfortunately. Personally I find long ferry journeys very boring, so I would be inclined to avoid it id possible!

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
7,018 posts
27 reviews
2. Re: What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

Most likely it'll be very cold at sea too, particularly if you venture outside. There's not a great deal to see on the route, I'd prefer the short (albeit probably more expensive) flight.

7 posts
3. Re: What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

Thank You for your replies. Much Appreciated.

Edited: 8:17 am, October 15, 2018
Newmarket, United...
Destination Expert
for Antiparos
Level Contributor
8,875 posts
4. Re: What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?

The only ferry is likely to be Blue Star at 15:30. Sunset is around 17:00 on 8th Dec, so you will do most of the trip in the dark. You will be able to see the caldera villages as you depart Santorini, and sunset from the ship if it isn't cloudy. I would take a flight.

Reply to: What is the best way to travel from Santorini to Athens?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted