We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fira Restaurants- Take Care

London, England
Level Contributor
6 posts
73 reviews
Save Topic
Fira Restaurants- Take Care

Just a note to be aware of with the restaurants overlooking the sea in Fira.

You will find that the owners/touts try very hard to get you in the restaurants. (this get reaaly tiresome very quickly).

We had an experience with a restarant called KATRIN which is just below the cable cars.

It is a nice looking venue set on multi level, however the bottom line is that once in they look to hard sell everthing. Cocktails, the local fish and the local wine.

Which is fine as many people (including me) go to restarants for exactly that.

The problem is the fish is recommended, you ask for price and it is very vague 'Weight, Weight, its good fish' we assumed it would be similar price to other fish restaurants. We found out the price was 60 Euros per kilo when our fish cost 90 euros. Staggering when you consider we were 200 yards form the port.

We asked for house barrel wine' We have a house red, it is local' , Good i thought again assuming it will be around the same cost as all the other local wine. 38 euros a bottle.

All of this could have been avoided should I have insisted the fish be weighed and the drinks menu been brought back out, but I am on holiday and local fish and local wine seems simple enough.

This is not a horrible restaurant it just takes advantage where it can by purposely being vague and strong selling and you need to be aware.

198 euros was our bill and the meal was OK, but no better than other 40-60 euro meals we have had.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Cairo
Level Contributor
575 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Fira Restaurants- Take Care

Hi Timothy-Athens

Well the sooner we let this topic rest the better for the restuarant in question and Santorini in general. For whatever reasons Balderama decided to write about one specific experience I don't think it was with the intention to destroy but just to warn others. Perhaps, as you previously suggested, they could have mentioned the restaurants they did enjoy but, afterall, it is their choice.

I agree that the small businesses are having a hard time of late trying to keep their heads above water and that a small tourist-orientated business in Greece does support many families. I have friends who have had to close their restaurant this year because of the influx of AI mass tourism in Kos. The chef who was The Head Chef in his own kitchen has now had to work as one of many chefs in one of those AI resorts. I have still to learn what happened to the sous chef and the dishwasher. The owners are trying their hand in a non-touristic venture. It's a sad fact but island life is changing. I have visited Santorini twice staying in Kamari and Fira. Both were very enjoyable and memorable vacations.

All the best.

Mentioned in this post
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Greece
Greece
Europe
Kos
Kos
Dodecanese, Greece
Kamari
Kamari
Santorini, Greece
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Atlanta, GA
Level Contributor
80 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: Fira Restaurants- Take Care

Who made Timothy the tripadvisor police? If you don't like the post, don't read it. Your reply was unnecessarily rude. Bladerama, thank you for warning others about this restaurant. As a general rule, I do not go into restaurants where an owner is trying hard to get me to enter. TD

London
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Fira Restaurants- Take Care

Hi Bladerama,

I have to totally agree with you! We had the exact same experience in The Katrin Gallery restaurant in Fira and it completely ruined what should have been a beautiful evening watching the sun go down.

Potential tourists beware! Do not be fooled by the amazing location, fresh food displayed outside and inviting soft-glowing lights.

After questioning something on the bill we ended up in an argument with the managment where they told us we were 'cheap' and they 'didn't want our type of people'.

We came away seething and feeling completely taken advantage of.

First of all you will be coerced into having a "traditional" greek cactus cocktail to start (Mine was a canned juice with a squirt of canned cream on top with no any alcohol for 10 eu)

If you ask for water you'll be given a small plastic bottle for the same price as a large bottle served in other expensive and better restaurants.

They will cleverly and quickly try to suggest what you should have to eat and drink before you have a chance to look at the menu or wine list properly and I can see why other people have been duped. Luckily my husband spotted the exorbatant wine prices and just ordered a glass which was still 10 euros and appeared in one of those very small cheap wine glasses. Completely outrageous.

The bill was 130 euros for a small bottle of water, 2 cactus cocktails one tiny glass of house wine, 2 awful starters and just over a kilo of red snapper.

It was a very upsetting experience especially when we had had so many amazing meals in Santorini at Sphinx, Ambrosia and 1800.

Ambrosia in Oia, was only 10 euros more but we had a fine bottle of local wine, a large bottle of water, and a dessert and was sensational and far superior in all round quality.

Sphinx is also a great restaurant in Fira with amazing service and food.

It's a shame the management at Katrin Gallery are so rude and arrogant declaring to us that, their restaurant the best in Fira and they don't want cheap people as I fear they will continue to take advantage of unsuspecting tourists who can't really do anything about it.

Perhaps Tim from Athens could pass on our comments.

Mentioned in this post
Fira
Fira
Santorini, Greece
Santorini
Santorini
Cyclades, Greece
Oia
Oia
Santorini, Greece
Athens
Athens
Attica, Greece
24. Re: Fira Restaurants- Take Care

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:21 pm, September 03, 2009