We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
51 reviews
Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Our ship will be in Santorini from 1pm to 8pm, along with another ship that arrives the same time. I heard the lines for the cable car can be horrendous, and that the speedboat is a much better option.

1. I read that the speedboat takes 12 minutes to Amoudi Bay, and that there is a bus waiting (as part of the trip) to take the travellers up to Oia. Is that correct?

2. I also read that a bus ticket to Fira is also included. does anyone know how frequent this bus it to Fira? From Fira, would we then take the cable car back to the cruise dock? Is there a way to get back to the cruise ship via speedboat from Oia?

Any other comments or suggestions welcome. Thanks!

46 replies to this topic
Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

1. yes

2.Not, sure but even if it's not included in the price the bus back to Fira is only €1.80/pp and it runs frequently. Yes, then you'd take the cable car back down the cliff. PLEASE DON'T RIDE THE POOR ABUSED DONKEYS! Last week someone reported that the boat will not take you back to the cruise ship port. Once you're there let us know what's current.

ktel-santorini.gr/ktel/…15

Canada
Level Contributor
249 posts
51 reviews
2. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply. I have heard that so much time is wasted getting to / from Oia, I want to best plan our time. Any other tips or comments welcome.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
184 posts
18 reviews
3. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

How do we bok this spedboat?

Does the speedboat take you back to the cruiseship as well? Our ship departs at 6 pm.

Thanks

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
2 reviews
4. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

From the Santorini Port website: THE WATER TAXI SERVICE FROM THE OLD PORT DIRECTLY TO OIA (AMMOUDI PORT) IS NOT AVAILABLE ANY MORE DUE TO LEGAL ISSUES. LAST UPDATE ON AUGUST 25TH, 2016.

This is obviously old news from last summer. It may be that the water taxi will be re-implemented but at this time it is still an unknown. What you will do if it's available is purchase tickets for €20 per person, which includes a shuttle van pickup to drive you up the road from Ammoudi and drop you off in the bus square in Oia. It also includes a bus ticket back to Fira and a ticket for the cable car back down to the tender dock.

Kenner
Level Contributor
30 posts
176 reviews
5. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Just returned from a cruise on NCL. On our trip to Santorini we DID take the "speedboat" to Oia. It was much cheaper than the transfer offered by the boat. But keep in mind that the cruise ships tender here, so the excursions offered by the ship have priority (get the first tenders). Once you get to land the "speedboat" is there - and you can buy your tickets directly from them. I did buy our tickets online beforehand from Aegean Traveller, which confused them. There were two boats going to Oia. They DO wait until they're full, but the first one left a few minutes after we got there and the one we were assigned left about 15 minutes later. I wouldn't call the "speedboats" more of "transfer boats" much like the tenders from the cruise ship. Once you land near Oia, they tell you where to catch the bus, which for us was actually a shuttle bus from the cruise ship. It took us to a stop in Oia and then we caught a later one to Fira a couple hours later (the bus to Fira leaves hourly). We were able to spend a couple hours in Oia, but there were already many tourists there when we got there (both staying there and those on the cruise ship excursions). It's not very big, so this was plenty of time. We spent about an hour in Fira before catching the cable car back. Our wait for the cable car was only about 20 minutes, but I've heard the line can get a whole lot longer in season. The cost for the cable car (I think it may have been 5 Euro) wasn't included in the price, but it was well worth it not to walk down all those steps.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
2 reviews
6. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

MAP12-

Thanks for the update regarding the shuttle boat to Oia. Good to know it's back in service. Do you recall what you paid for it?

Chicago, Il. USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
54 reviews
7. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

I am assuming that the speedboat transfer is still operating. Leaving next week on a cruise with my family and hope to use the boat to transfer to Oia.

Anything else we should know ?

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
23,930 posts
2 reviews
8. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

Be aware of how many other ships are in port that day and give yourselves enough time to return to Fira for the cable car ride down to the tender dock. There will be a line for the cable car and it can take as long as 1.5 hours depending on how many ships are in port. Of course you can always walk down the steps, but PLEASE DON'T RIDE THE POOR ABUSED DONKEYS!

(The water taxi does not return passengers to the tender dock)

Edited: 12:44 pm, June 06, 2017
Chicago, Il. USA
Level Contributor
42 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

We don't get there until 1:00 pm and leave port at 10:00 pm . 6:00 dinner in Imerovigi. Planning to walk back to cable car .

Any issues With that plan ???

London
Destination Expert
for Thirassia, Fira
Level Contributor
16,538 posts
18 reviews
10. Re: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat

If your ship departs port at 10:00 pm, what time are you required to be back on board?

Dinner at 6:00 pm dinner in Imerovigi, indicates a likely finish around 8:00 pm. Assume 30 minutes walking from Imerovigli to Fira. That doesn't leave too long to walk back to Fira and deal with any queues at the cable car.

I've heard some ships need you back on board one hour before they depart - you might want to confirm what's the situation with your ship.

The ships sometimes wait if you're delayed on one of their own tours. If you're sightseeing independently, then you'll be on your own if you're too late.

Reply to: Cruise ship transfer to Oia via Speedboat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted