We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oia or elsewhere

montreal, quebec
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Oia or elsewhere

My girlfriend and I are visiting Santorini and are debating staying in Oia due to the scenic beauty. Our concern is that we enjoy great restaurants, bars, clubs, etc. So our first question is what is the nightlife there? Do we have to go to fira to party?

Our 2nd question is what is the nicest hotel in Oia.

Minneapolis...
Destination Expert
for Minneapolis
Level Contributor
4,668 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oia or elsewhere

Oia has some great restaurants, but for nightlife, you'll need to go elsewhere. Fira has pretty crazy nightlife, from my brief exposure to it. We had a blast.

We stayed in Oia for the beauty and the quiet, then took the bus (cheap!) or a taxi into Fira to enjoy the nightlife. It is nice to have the peace and quiet during the day and when you want to sleep or just sit out on the veranda and gaze off into the sea. I don't know if you'd get that same level of peace and quit staying in Fira. Fun place to visit, though, and it's not that far away.

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oia or elsewhere

Oia's nightlife is limited to restaurants, a few mellow bars and one venue for traditional Greek music and dance called Santorini Mou. There are plenty of excellent restaurants in Oia. Buses stop running around 10:30PM in the summer months, earlier in shoulder seasons. Taxis get scarce after midnight.

If you want easy access to nightlife stay in Firostefani. It's quiet and picturesque and is only a short stroll into Fira on a cliffside path.

montreal, quebec
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oia or elsewhere

thnks for the info! what hotel would you recommend we stay at in firostefani?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oia or elsewhere

Specific hotel recommendtations require information. What is your daily room budget? Do you require a swimming pool? Caldera View? Self-catering?

Here's a list: travel-to-santorini.com/hotels/firostefani/

About Oia, If a pool isn't necessary the best accomodations without question are the Aspaki Suites (caldera view) and the Oia Castle (sunste view), both self-catering. If you need a pool then I recommend the Perivolas Villas.

http://www.artmaisons.gr

magicaljourneys.com/Santorini/santorini-hote…

greekhotel.com/cyclades/…home.htm

montreal, quebec
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Oia or elsewhere

Hi brotherleelove!

I've been doing some research and am looking at the Princess Santorini hotel in Imeroglivi. I thought it would be a good location as not so far from fira for nightlife and close to ioa. I just noticed that there the 5 star hotels didn't get good, consistent reviews from tripadvisor members which confused me. I couldn't locate the star level for the Princess but it seems high?

I heard from starwood hotels that mystique is what they consider a category 6 level which is their highest. Renovations only finish in may so I am a little concerned with hotel "readiness".

I do have one silly question - what is the caldera?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Oia or elsewhere

I've been doing some research and am looking at the Princess Santorini hotel in Imeroglivi. I thought it would be a good location as not so far from fira for nightlife and close to ioa. I just noticed that there the 5 star hotels didn't get good, consistent reviews from tripadvisor members which confused me. I couldn't locate the star level for the Princess but it seems high?

I heard from starwood hotels that mystique is what they consider a category 6 level which is their highest. Renovations only finish in may so I am a little concerned with hotel "readiness".

I do have one silly question - what is the caldera?

I don't know what star category the Santorini Princess is in, but I don't pay much attention to that anyway. I don't know where these hotels get their ratings, but I bet they're not from one organization that judges them all. I sometimes think they give themselves a rating they think they deserve regardless of the reality of their facilities. I'm sure the Santorini Princess is as good as any in that price category, in spite of the profusion of contradicting reviews. It all comes down to the luck of the draw, who's on duty, time of year, and any number of uncontrollable factors that are too random to predict. I suggest you post your sqecific questions about this hotel here on TA as well as over on Fodors.com in their Greece forum and on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree Western Europe Branch.

A caldera is the molten center of a volcano. In the case of Santorini, it's what's left of the old volcano's center but is open to the sea and is visible from any of the clifftop villages. It's a large bay, roughly about the size of San Francisco Bay, which hugs the island on the inside curve of it's crescent-shaped formation.

montreal, quebec
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oia or elsewhere

Hi brotherleelove,

Thanks for your quick replies. I am now looking at Santorini Princess or Kirini. I am using my frequent flyer points to travel in business to athens and my starwood points for blue palace in crete so i can splurge at my hotel in Santorini. We want full service, beauty, great pool and great rooms. Are these 2 of the best? Am I missing another that I should look at (not in Fira though)?

We are travelling from crete to santorini. should we fly or do travel by boat?

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,201 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oia or elsewhere

I have watched the Kirini evolve since its early days in the 80's as the Atlantis Villas. It's an excellent property. I haven't toured the Santorini Princess and I much prefer Oia, so I'd go with Kirini. But as I've already said, if you want to be near the bar scene you should probably be looking in Firostefani. Have you checked out Sun Rocks, the Tsitouras Collection and Homeric Poems?

In Oia you can have a look at Alexander's Boutique Hotel, Esperas, Oia Mare and Canaves Oia. While touring Kirini the manager told me that he'd send people to Canaves Oia if he was full. If a pool is something you can do without I highly recommend the Aspaki Suites and the Oia Castle. www.artmaisons.gr

Many people complain of seasickness and choppy seas on the trip from Crete to Santorini, so you need to consider your own tendencies in this situation. The highspeed catamaran is enclosed, meaning you can't go out on deck. If people are getting sick I fear the air would quickly get pretty rank.

9. Re: Oia or elsewhere

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, August 18, 2009
Get answers to your questions about Oia