We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

Burlingame...
Level Contributor
15 posts
42 reviews
Save Topic
Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

Planing a trip to Greek islands, this July. Will be traveling from Istanbul . Understand Greece will be hot and very crowded but do not have a choice. We have only 9 days. Please give a recommendation for 2 islands we can enjoy. Would love real Greek experience . Food, views attractions are important. Night life is not! Would like to minimize crowds if at all possible at least on one island. Thank you!!!

Oregon
Destination Expert
for Santorini
Level Contributor
22,643 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

You have not offered enough information. Will you be returning to Istanbul after your time in Greece? If not, what is the plan? Do you have it in your budget to fly from Istanbul? If yes, there are flights in July that will take you directly to Mykonos, the only island accessible from Istanbul in the summer. It's either Pegasus Air or Atlas Jet, I can't remember which company, that offers this flight. From Mykonos you can take a ferry to one of several islands in the Cyclades group. If you have to return to Istanbul then you'll have to create an itinerary that puts you on a Greek island with ferry access to Turkey. The closest you can get to Istanbul by ferry is Ayvalik, which is accessible from Greece through the Greek island of Lesvos.

Once finalized for July you can see ferry schedules here: http://www.gtp.gr

Ferry routes map: greeceathensaegeaninfo.com/ferry-info-greece… This map isn't 100% current but it's the only one I know of. I also suggest you get yourself a copy of T. Cook's "Greek Island Hopping".

Your other option is to fly from Istanbul to Athens and use the Greek ferry system hub of Piraeus.

new
Level Contributor
463 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

Hi, you got few more replies in other topic that you made before:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g189398-i192-k7160…

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
664 posts
410 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

The islands are just not typial of Greece, you need to stay in Athens for 1 or 2 nights at least. But read the blog on safety in Athens, it's quite different from Istanbul (I've recently visited both cities). Other than Athens, I would suggest flying to Mykonos, catch the ferry from Mykonos to Santorini (no direct flights this route all have to go through Athens), and the flying back from Santorini to Athens, then back to Istanbul

Birmingham, United...
Level Contributor
13,063 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

Hi,

It has been answered in your other thread, but not properly.

The obvious selection to head for are the Western Cyclades consisting of Kithnos, Serifos, Sifnos, Milos, Kimolos, Folegandros, Sikinos. Nowhere near as popular as the often mentioned central Cyclades islands.

Of those probably Sifnos and Serifos would be my choice for you, Typically Cycladic which so many actually miss by going to more popular islands.

In your short time obviously those islands first in my list have shortest travelling time/distance from Piraeus.

5. Re: Pls recommend 2 island to visit in July ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 04, 2015