We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Topic
A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

We are a young couple. Unfortunately we have only one day to spend in Santorini. So here is the plan:

we will start by doing the hike from oia to fira at 10am. We will start from Oia side since our hotel is there. Then return to Oia by bus and spend some time in Amoudi Bay (probably swim also) and finally enjoy the sunset at Oia.

My question is, is it possible to do the hike and also Amoudi bay swimming before the sunset? When is the sunset time in mid September? If not possible, we want to cut short the hike and hike only upto Imerovigli and from there take the return bus to Oia. In which part of the hike most wonderful views can be seen (oia-imerovigli or imerovigli-fira)? Also, how much time it will normally take to go to Amoudi Bay from Oia, swim there for a while and return to Oia?

If we spend no time in Fira (its our first trip in Santorini), are we going to miss something big? Since most of the top attractions of Santorini is related to Oia and we don't have much time, I want to skip Fira.

Another question about taxi in Santorini. We will arrive just after midnight (00.30 am). I saw that taxi fare from port to Oia is 25 euro. Is it the same after midnight?

Will be grateful if someone could answer these questions. Thank you.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

Im here now for my second time, the walk will eat up a lot if time id recommend just the walk down from Ammoundi bay. Still steep and beautiful. Taxis on Santorini do as they please but a few will be there at every flight. Dont muck around though they wont stay long. I recommend one of the private larger vans out the front that usually will cost around $10 to most places. Additionally we paid 18 euro to fira from the airport.

The sunset at 1st of sep ~ 8pm local and is getting further towards the other side of the island from viewd from fira. Id recommend getting to a spot where it will go down to the sea not land. The top of oia is always crowded at sunset id stay away but thats my personal taste.

Beware trying to move long distances by taxi after sun set to and from oia you'll be late.

Oia is nice but there is so much more to this island. 1 days not enough so don't waste it walking to fira. The bus is cheap and not to slow when its not to busy.

If you can ride a scooter i would do that.

Worthy visits;

Ruins on the other side of the island.

Kamiri beach black pebbles.

Wine museum

Donkey ride from the old port up. walk down :-D

Good luck

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
388 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

Please don't ride the poor donkeys back up from the old port as Elcarter848 suggests. Walk down and get the cable car back up.

These poor creatures suffer on a daily basis in the full heat, up and down all day with tourists on their back getting prodded with sticks. I reiterate please don't ride the donkeys.

Edited: 9:58 am, August 28, 2013
Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

<< Donkey ride from the old port up. walk down :-D >>

NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The donkeys are regularly beaten with sticks that have sharp nail points embedded in them, as well as the reasons given in #2 above.

Anyone who rides one of these poor beasts up those cliff in the heat for "fun" is just sick in the head.

Martin

Sandbach, United...
Destination Expert
for Perissa
Level Contributor
6,117 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

Other than the donkeys, Elcarter848's suggestions are pretty good.

Martin

London, United...
Level Contributor
19 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

Thank you very much everyone for your suggestions...I really want to do some hiking, as it got a very good review in tripadvisor...but it seems it might not be possible to travel all the way to Fira if I want to spend some time in Amoudi bay before sunset...so I will try to stop the hiking at Imerovigli and take the bus back to Oia..

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
11 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

As always your all entitled to your opinions.

I got a horse and both my horse and the other donkeys walked up on their own accord at their own pace no harsh treatment no kicking or nails.

Any one thought what might happen if everyone boycotts them? I suspect hunger would suck far more than a walk up a hill they are acclimetised to.

Not much grass on the island.

Regardless what you do the cruise you probably all went on that departed from old port on was most probably supplied in some form or another by these animals. The cable cars flat out with tourists.

but hey I've only seen them 7-8 times so i might have missed what you guys saw

7. Re: A day in Oia..help with the plan!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, September 01, 2014